Covering potato foliage

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering potato foliage

I am growing some potatoes (Maris Peer) for the first time and they are producing some nice foliage which I am covering with compost as it grows. However, (dumb question coming) is there a point at which you stop covering up and just let it grow? I read that the spuds are ready to lift when the plants flower but I am concerned that I may cover the flowers up.

Lesley

As the foliage by then should be around two foot long from the top of your earthing up, you'll be going it some.
    Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
    Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
    I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Gosh! Really? Yes, I can see that might be a problem. They've got some way to go then.

Comment

As you earth up, just leave the growing tip of the plant showing so you know where they are.
        I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

you do not say if you are growing in pots or out in the open if out in open it will cost a fortune in compost
          What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I havn't tried growing potatoes in pots yet,I'm just trying some this year. 1 seed potato to a bucket as ordered by the experts. I'm using a mixture of 2 of soil to 1 of compost. The potatoes in the ground are in soil with no compost added.
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Go with Peter, Ispittles. Your potatoes may not flower. But you'll know when they're ready. The foliage will start to die down.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X