Squash Fanatics!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squash Fanatics!

Hi all Just wondering if there are any other squash fanatics, like me, out there? If so - what varieties are you growing? Any tips on growing specific varieties and what is your favourite? Any tips in general? I'm a general newbie to veg gardening, so this is my first official squash fanatic year - I only have a small patch for this year, but hoping to get an allotment soon, so the range will expans for next year! Happy Squashing!

Take care

Pete

I've got real fasicination with squashes.

This year we're growing:

Butternut Squash
    Sweet Dumpling Squash
    Jack Be Little Pumpkins
    Ball Courgettes
    Courgettes

Have only ever grown courgettes before, so this is a real learning curve for us!

Comment

I'm only a fanatic about one squash.... Gem squash. I love the round squashes and are fantastic to eat. I have grown them but I planted them in ground gave plenty of water and let nature take it's course. As I let them run rather than staking them upwards there was no need as far as I could see to support the squash... but I've heard you need to put something under squashes if you stake them upwards... a net, a brick etc depending on how high the squash is on the stalk. Good luck wiht all the squash growing.
      Look not from the mind, but from the soul. For the life that is coming is already before us, waiting to open up the world. Just look more closely. Find the eyes to see. - Celestine Prophecy 1st insight

Visit my blog: http://wheatleyswheels.blogspot.com

Comment

Did some one mention Squashes???

Our Plot no1 is officially known by us as the Pumpkin Patch, currently we've 10 Ghostrider Pumpkins, 5 saved Connecticut Field Pumpkin and 10 Ponca Butternut Squash in a bed on the plot, with another 5 each of Carnival Squash, Mars Pumpkin, Baby Bear Pumpkin germinating at the moment! Ok, we've only 5 varieties for this years growing, but as there's only 2 of us and its out first year growing, methinks it should be enough for us!

Now next year will be a different thing altogether...............
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Not a fanatic, but growing butternut squash and carnival squash (from Piglets seeds) All doing very well. Hope this non fanatical growing is allowed.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Green Hubbard Squash last year. Green Hubbard and Gem Squash this year with some butternut squash.

It was such a joy last year to harvest the big hubbards. And they kept until February when we used the last one. The flesh is just so tasty and full of colour when cooking.

Comment

Crown Prince.
              Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
              Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
              I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

I've sown Butternut in pots that have germinated well but not as well as the ornamental gourds (what do i do with those?) and we've got two pumpkin plants (shop bought) because O'Erindoors has never grown them befor.
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I'm new to squashes too, but perhaps not a fanatic yet!

I'm doing Pumpkin Hooligan, Winter Squash Celebrtion and Piglets Carnival Squash. Everything got about four leaves at the moment, so a bit slow. I'm planning to grow two in one of my compost bins. Anybody else doing that?
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I like my squash too. This year I'm growing butternut, jumbo pink banana and spaghetti, and my courgettes this year are provided by green bush.

happy squashing

Comment

I've got Baby Bear pumpkin, a self saved carnival squash and sweet dumpling.
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'm not growing in the compost bin Jennie (the position is not right) but I can see them doing well in there.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by potterfanpete View Post
                          Hi all Just wondering if there are any other squash fanatics, like me, out there? If so - what varieties are you growing? Any tips on growing specific varieties and what is your favourite? Any tips in general? I'm a general newbie to veg gardening, so this is my first official squash fanatic year - I only have a small patch for this year, but hoping to get an allotment soon, so the range will expans for next year! Happy Squashing!

Take care

Pete
                          Hi Potterpanpete,

I am no squash fanatics but I do grow several of them :
                          Summer squashes : angled luffa, snake gourd & courqette .
                          As for winter squash, I have grown red kuri. This year will be growing several more like : korean green BT squash, indian tinda squash, japanese yokohama winter squash and chinese wax gourd.

Momol
                          I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

waw - it's amazing to see the squashes people are growing! I sowed lots of squash seed this year, all presuming we'd get our allotment. We got it 1 week ago, so the next day of nice weather, I'll be planting a fair few squash on the lotty! I'll post some pictures soon, on here and on my blog (address under message)

Take care

Pete

Comment

Congratulations on getting your Allotment Potterfanpete.
                              ~
                              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X