Potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes

I have 'Charlotte' potaoes growing in those specially designed sacks and have already earthed them up to the top og the sack as very healthy growth. Can anyone tell me when/how i will know when they are ready - obviously not yet but how do you know without digging them out and spoiling the crop?
    Last edited by Jo.T; 01-05-2007, 08:08 PM.

Hi Jo.T, Charlotte spuds will be ready for eating as 'new potatoes' 90 days from planting and if you want to store them they will need 110 days. Dont dig them all up at once as potatoes can double their weight in 2 weeks.

Enjoy them
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Have a furtle in the bags an see (feel) how big they are then pick a few and leave the tops in there growing away
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Thanks for the advice Nick.
        I dreamed about BW's potatoes last night - the one's we've got growing in barrels .... !!
        I've asked him to have a furtle tomorrow as they are overflowing now having been banked up from planting about 4 feet down. There may well be some edible. Will look forward to it.

Comment

They'll be ready in about 13 weeks from planting Jo T. They may flower and they'll be ready just after that. Or they may not flower. Eventually the shaws (green growth) will start to turn yellow and die down. At that point the potatoes are as good as they are going to get and you should lift them.
          In some ways it depends on what you want from them - the earliest potatoes or the heaviest crop.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks very much - i'm going now to work out 13 weeks from planting!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X