Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name of salad that you pick & it keeps on growing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name of salad that you pick & it keeps on growing?

Please does anyone know what it's called or the variety please?

It is referred to as 'cut and come again' I think. There are various packets of mixed seed available depending on your taste preferences. I suppose you could plant any mix you like of lettuce and rocket if you can't find a mixed packet that suits you. Good luck and hope this helps.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

rocket, chard, lambs lettuce are all cut and come again.
      Yo an' Bob
      Walk lightly on the earth
      take only what you need
      give all you can
      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

the most productive is suposed to be saladini which is an oriental mix. There are LOADS of salad mixes around now. Sutton seeds do an aray of different cut and come again style salad mixes such as spicy, italian, oriental ect..

Comment

I am just experimenting with my own mix - beetroot, spinach, lollo rosso, butterhead and another I can't think of and seeing what will happen. They are just starting to pop up through the soil at the mo'.

Comment

Marks & Spencers

Try the Organic Gardening Catalogue or Tamar Organics they both do good mixes.
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Great thanks everyone for your replies.

Comment

A cut and come again mix I had was Misticanza. Did well for me, but there are plenty of mixes out there. Try a few and see what does well for you.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I make my own mix of red/green salad bowl and frillice lettuce, coriander, pak choi, baby spinach, anything I fancy really. Sowed a seed tray full on April 1st and started cutting last weekend. They are really nice.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

You can use a mixture of your favourite lettuces and oriental leaves. I now sow cut-and-come-again lettuce separately from any brassica salad leaves (like rocket, for example) because I have a big cabbage rootfly problem. Separating them allows me to protect the brassicas better.

By the way, sow thickly - it helps the early leaves reach up tall (which you wouldn't otherwise want to happen but in this case it's good!). I didn't sow my last lot thickly enough and the seedlings are bulking up too much instead of growing up, so I can't cut them! Really annoying!

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                      I make my own mix of red/green salad bowl and frillice lettuce, coriander, pak choi, baby spinach, anything I fancy really. Sowed a seed tray full on April 1st and started cutting last weekend. They are really nice.
                      I sowed mine on 30 March and there isn't enough ready to start cutting - how much do you sow and what sort of container do you use? The leaves are about 3 to 4 inches tall but not enough of them to give more than enough for one serving - did I maybe not sow thickly enough? Do you cut everything off or just select the biggest leaves?
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

Mine have been slow, too, this year and I am sure it's because I didn't sow enough. They are hearting instead of growing up.

I tend to get a pair of scissors and take the biggest leaves - it's more time consuming, but it means you don't risk cutting the central growing tip. It depends on the amount you need in one go, though. You could spend hours!

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                          I sowed mine on 30 March and there isn't enough ready to start cutting - how much do you sow and what sort of container do you use? The leaves are about 3 to 4 inches tall but not enough of them to give more than enough for one serving - did I maybe not sow thickly enough? Do you cut everything off or just select the biggest leaves?
                          Hi Shirl. I just use a standard seed tray. I kept it in the greenhouse and they are now on the kitchen windowsill - very handy! I sow them fairly thickly. You want a lot of leaves rather than any hearts. When you cut them they start to sprout again from the centre of each little plant so you can get several cuts from each tray full. I sowed a second tray yesterday - it's outside on the patio table as they won't need protection now (and the greenhouse is full!)
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Potentially v dumb q hoving into view.... I planted 6 little gem lettuces in the greenhouse a while back and they are going great guns. If I take off some of the outer leaves suffiencient for use, I assume the rest of the plant will keep going????

Comment

Worked for me with cos lettuce last year - not sure about little gem as I haven't grown them.
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X