Watering.....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watering.....

Can anyone advise me how often in this dry weather I should be watering my plot.

I assume some things need more water than others, I feel like I should be watering everything but I dont want to over water as I guess this can be bad for some veg?

Thanks

Hi Dave

There will bound to be others along later to answer your questions, but in the meantime you might wish to search on "watering" as there have been quite a few threads about this in the last couple of weeks.
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Thank you Jennie.... I should have thought of that... I will have a look

Comment

It depends on the crop how much water, and when. For example, carrots grow downwards, but if you water the surface it makes them stop reaching down, so you need to check the moisture levels further down before watering, and give them a REALLY good soak if they need it. Other crops are more shallow rooting, so check the moisture in the top 3-4 inches of soil. A finger poked down into the soil will be enough for that. I think a lot of water now-and-again is better than a little water often.

'Spect the other grapes will be able to add to this though

Comment

Hi Sarah...

Yes I can see what your saying about depth of moisture...

Our main crops will be..."with luck" potatoes, carrots, sweetcorn, onions, tomatoes and leeks.

We have got beetroot, Butternut squash, pumpkin, brussle sprouts and rhubarb...

I think as you say... a good soak now and then sounds the best bet. I have noticed that some people on our allotment have not been over at all in a couple of weeks to water, even though we have had no rain... were I was watering most days, which I think was maybe a bit to much....

Learning all the time.....

Comment

Certain things need their water at specific times. You need to water things with fruits or swelling tubers when they are actively swelling - if you see what I mean. I'm concentrating my water at the moment on rhubarb - don't want it bolting! If we don't get much water in the next few weeks I shall be giving my spuds a good soaking - they are earlies. Toms need the water when the fruits are swelling. Sweetcorn needs a lot of water, as do squashes and courgettes.

Flum
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I avoid watering the surface of the soil (too much evaporates = wasteful)
              I sink plastic milk bottles upside down near my plants and water into them...the water then goes right to the roots.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Two sheds - do you have a bottle for each of your plants, or one between two plants?
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I am really watching how I'm watering as I know now that I have always over watered, but I'm beginning to wonder whether I am now underwatering!

Is it better to water with a can or with a spray hose?
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                    I
                    Is it better to water with a can or with a spray hose?
                    I find a can easier to target the water direct to the roots. A spray house is inclined to blast the soil away and wet the leaves

Comment

We use a hose on plot no1 (the Pumpkin Patch) Jennie, but the attachment head thingy has 12 settings for water pattern choice and 3 levels of power, so its not too difficult to use it and get a similar output to that which you get from a watering can! One useful tip we picked up on PW's plot a while back, was to put some wooden uprights at the corners of each bed, that way you can pull your hose around without any danger of it going onto a bed and damaging your growing crops!

On Plot2 (the Beanery) we generally use a watering can, as we cant be bothered dragging the hose all the way over from plot 1 just to water the tatties and a few beans that we have growing atm! That may well change when we've a few more things growing on plot2!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                        Two sheds - do you have a bottle for each of your plants, or one between two plants?
                        I tend to have a bottle every two foot or so...the plants will put their roots down to find the moisture
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for that 2sheds! Ive been saving my 2lt plastic bottles, just wasnt sure where to place them. Ta.
                          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

There is an excellent article on water in this months, well, next months GYO. I think I may have been over watering some of my plants! Have actually got the article up on the wall in my shed to refer to!
                            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X