Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have I knackered my compost heap? - Caterpillars/Eggs.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i found these when i emptied a pot of spuds the other day

there are small white eggs that look like grains of rice - they are very white and were being carried around by ants - are they ant eggs?

there are some brown eggs too - similar "grain of rice" shape, but much bigger - what are they?
    Attached Files
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30868[/ATTACH]

there are small white eggs that look like grains of rice - they are very white and were being carried around by ants - are they ant eggs?

there are some brown eggs too - similar "grain of rice" shape, but much bigger - what are they?
      Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      I know you've got your answer now, but if anyone else is panicking about what certain eggs might be: caterpillars don't live in soil, they live on plants, on leaves.

The other commonly found eggs that panic people are the fat bits of rice you find in soil or compost heaps (ant eggs: very tasty food for goldfish )
      ^

Comment

Larger ones, I guess are more mature?

Comment

hmmmm ..... dubious ....
          if one was likely to "grow", there would be sizes in between .... but there weren't ....
          http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

still ant eggs...

Comment

Little ones workers, big ones fliers?
              Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

caterpillars in compost, good or bad?

Hello while in the garden my kids found caterpillars and three them in our just started compost bin. I'm worried that when it comes time to use the compost it'll be full of caterpillars and dangerous to use in my vegetable garden. Please any help!

Comment

One of the benefits of a compost bin is that the heat which is created whilst the vegetation is rotting down should also kill off most living things in it....IF you regularly turn it over.
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                    Found some eggs of the edible snail the other day. They are HUGE, like small ball bearings and the pop was loud and satisfying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
                    I was watching a program about the worlds most expencive food and snail caviar was up there with the top ,loads of rich birds gulping it down with champers LOL made me retch. Dal

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30868[/ATTACH]

The things known as "ant eggs" are actually the cocoons, between the larval form and adult form; their actual eggs are tiny, barely visible things. The smaller, more numerous ones are worker ants, the larger ones, only seen at certain times of year, are cocoons of flying queen and male ants.
                      My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

i have had those round white balls every time i have dug up my potatos ,i thought they were slug eggs i just left them on top of the soil and when i went back a couple of days later they had all gone i hoped that they had all been eaten by birds or frogs but the amount of slugs ive had this im starting to wonder about that ha ha ,cheers
                        The Dude abides.

Comment

This thread contains really good info! I have a question too. I keep finding these "egg-looking white bubbly stuff" in between leaves or as the picture indicates on my strawberries. I poked it and a few days later it turn into a gooey bubble thing. Ew! What is it? I am so curious.

Thank you.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ryez, that looks like what's known as 'cuckoo spit',made by froghopper larvae. If you look through it, you should find a little green insect, which makes the foam from the sap in your plant in order to hide from predators.

It's not normally a real problem for your plants, unless there's loads, which doesn't normally happen. I've had quite a bit on my thyme this year, but I just leave it to it. I think they're kind of cute...
                            My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Aw! Thank you very much, that's brilliant. I will stop destroying them! :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X