No announcement yet.

Whats doing well?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onions, shallots and potatoes are going great guns. Lettuce and pak choi are doing well.
    Parsnips were slow to come up but are doing ok now. Courgettes, pumpkins and tomatoes are slower than usual but doing ok.
    Beans, sweetcorn were doing well until they were eaten by slugs.
    I have one last sowing of some brassicas left after 4 attempts!! 2 my fault, 2 rabbits fault!.
    Peppers and chillis......hmmm what peppers and chillis?

Comment

Haven't been on here for ages! Whats doing well? Potatoes seem to be thriving, some of the onions and garlic are OK. Sprouts seem to be loving the rain.
      Pumpkins, seem slow as do the Tomato plants.

But the weeds are everywhere! Thinks its a combination of not being able to get out to do as much weeding as is required. Can't help feeling that some sun should be happening....

Comment

Originally posted by binley100 View Post
        My weeds are doing exceedingly well..........
        snap!

everything is taking a very long time to get going .... the brassicas are doing ok now they're outside. even though it's cold and wet .... the fruit is doing well, gooseberry bushes are really loaded up, the new blackcurrant bush is fruiting .... spuds have put on a lot of growth, more than i've seen before .... garlic, parsnips and carrots looking great .... some of the original salads are doing fine ....

loads of other stuff is still in the greenhouse .... courgettes etc .... hoping they survive the cold spell this week ....
        http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

We had such a short summer last season. The tomatoes hardly got going before the frosts hit. And the pumpkins well they are tiny. The taters did ok considering it was our first lot. The lettuce was fabulous all summer, as were the spring onions and the courgette - so many zuchinni's for one plant. The leeks are still struggling on. And another one raised it's head this week! The green cabbage are decimated by holes but the purple seems to be going well. It's the same here with chard/silverbeet the red ribbed one seems to grow like crazy but the white ribbed one is pretty hard to get going.
          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Lettuce, radish, peas, shallots, onions and garlic are all growing well, though I'm only harvesting the lettuce and radish as yet. Carrots are very slow as are the spring onions. The first early potatoes have been in forever and have very poor top growth but the second earlies look wonderful. I think the frost has 'done for' my first earlies.

Comment

Originally posted by kentishgal View Post
              This is such a depressing year for us newbies (is it the weather or are we just rubbish at GYOing???) but does anyone want to share any successes they have had so far??

(it might cheer us up abit!!)
              It's not just depressing for the newbies. This is now almost mid June and the weather we are getting is like April. Very few things are growing well. There was a super mild spell in February/March but then we had an absolutely awful spell in April. The cold nights have undoubtedly caused a check and most things are just sitting doing nothing. Even giving a foliar feed with Miracle Gro has done nowt. Next foliar feed may well be with Round up

Comment

What's doing well? My water collecting - IBC is overflowing after a week!
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Onions, shallots and potatoes doing very well....
                  Garlic looks very strong above ground too, but some posts elsewhere on the forum have me afraid of "what lies beneath"..!! Hopefully will be ok tho....
                  My first time growing tomatoes and chillis from seed and they are flying too.....(first chilli nearly ready I think)

My winter sown beans going well too but Spring sown peas and beans quite slow....
                  All other stuff is doing ok-ish
                  Last edited by Tripmeup; 13-06-2012, 04:21 PM.
                  I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                  sigpic

Comment

Weeds and snails are the only things doing really well. I am fed up with harvesting bladdy snails!!

Comment

Doing well...

Carrots
                      Parsnips
                      Cabbage
                      Broccoli
                      Lettuce
                      Strawberries
                      Spring Onions
                      Onions
                      Cress
                      Tomatoes
                      Sweet Peppers
                      Potatoes (possibly, they're about four feet tall now, who knows what's going on under the surface?)

It would have been easier to list what's not doing well...

Chillies (grown well but still shedding buds before becoming flowers)
                      Cauliflowers (wouldn't germinate at all)

I wouldn't call it a depressing year, I guess I've had a bout of beginners luck or something but this year has been a very positive experience so far.
                      Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

Some of it is doing ok , some of it is blah but my melons are a bit disappointing.... story of my life really
                        Last edited by Piggle; 13-06-2012, 06:25 PM.
                        Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Peas, broad beans, rhubarb all looking fab. Garlic up owing to rust but size able enough. Some onions up owing to bolting. Potatoes are rubbish. Alliums unpredictable. Celery looks great. Celeriac coming on. Kale still great. Raspberries loaded with flowers. As are currants. Blueberries at home for first time ever.
                          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by Samurailord View Post
                            Perhaps you should try to farm some?

The French seem particularly taken with them

My pal's (Italian) father-in-law eats gardens snails. Feeds them on nice clean greens for a couple of days then starves them for a couple, then eats them. Not for me thanks!
                            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Piggle View Post
                              Some of it is doing ok , some of it is blah but my melons are a bit disappointing.... story of my life really

At the risk of getting into "Carry On" mode, my melons are tiny too. Got their own special area of polytunnel too, ungrateful buggers, could've had another 2 toms instead!

Chillis are going great guns, as are peas and broadies. Rasps and strawbs are covered in tiny fruit. Maris pipers are nearly waist high (I'm only 5'3" though).Spinach, fennel and chickpeas all looking promising. Carrots and salsify going well too.
                              Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Every time I look at my onion, leek and beetroot bed I smile. They look so happy and are twice the size they were when I planted them. The overwintered onions and shallots are also very happy, though the leek-sized overwintered garlic now has rust and isn't bulbing yet. Everything else looks beleaguered and unhappy. Apparently I am destined to be an alium farmer.
                                Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                                Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X