No announcement yet.

Last years leeks!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started mine inside (GH or windowsill) in modules in March and planted out once they had grown somewhat - hence why they are ready to harvest around now.
    The cats' valet.

Comment

I planted some last year in a trough,had nowhere to plant on so put the troughful in one lump in the ground at the end of summer,now they are about a good finger thickness, 1/2 inch plus, all crowded together. i realise they will go to seed pretty soon, could i use them for anything at this size ? I tried one as a large spring onion but it was too tough,probably needed cooking ?would they pass as leeks cooked?

Comment

Yes, absolutely. I've just taken mine up as they were putting on new leaves, so about to try and turn themselves into flowers. Very tasty leek and potato soup!

PS Just tell yourself you've intentionally grown baby leeks!
        Last edited by sparrow100; 11-03-2015, 07:28 AM.
        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I've been harvesting my 'leek fails' this week and found them so tasty I'm going to deliberately transplant some late this year.
          I always have problems with the hungry gap, I sometimes have food ready but it's always pretty tough and uninviting until the psb.
          These dinky little leeks however, they're just beautiful; tender, tasty and pretty on the plate.
          http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

We've still got plenty of Leeks ... maybe I plant WAY too many?
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I pulled the last of mine up the other day - we had one a month or so back and the leek taste was so strong and bitter that it ruined the dish they were in. That put me off harvesting any more and recently they'd started to go all wilty and slimy, so it was into the compost bin with them!
              He-Pep!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X