Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cue the Toms View Post
    To do this should I prick out the one that is growing first
    Well, I don't use seed trays, for this very reason: uneven germination. It's much easier to control bigger seeds like pumpkins if they're in individual pots (I use one seed per 3" pot, in my propagator).

If not 3" pots, I use modules in the greenhouse, once it's warm enough for decent germination. The air in my gh is much moisture than in the house, so clingfilm/propagator isn't necessary
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by MyLifeWithAndrew View Post
      So...wait until the 2nd set of leaves before transplanting and this is pretty much the basic rule for all plants?
      That's not a rule that I follow, but I know that people do.

I don't pot on a plant until the roots are showing out the bottom, and I don't transplant (into permanent place) until the seedling looks big enough to survive slugs/cold/wind

Comment

Yes, I have noticed the uneven bit.
        Thanks for the info, Two Sheds.
        My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
        Revelation 22:2

Comment

A little while ago someone posted this link about storing seeds Storing Seeds which might be helpful to someone new to propagating.
          A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

How do you water the pots in your heated propagator, TwoSheds ? I ask because I am about to put one into use for the first time... Presumably it's a good idea to soak the capillary matting with Asterisk Fluid or Milton's before use, to kill off fungi etc...I'm wondering whether to use the one with the variable thermostat, if it works...how does one stop the temperature from rising too high - use a timer ?
            There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Originally posted by snohare View Post
              How do you water the pots in your heated propagator, TwoSheds ?
              like all my other pots of seedlings: how to water seedlings - YouTube

(I don't use capillary matting)

Originally posted by snohare View Post
              how does one stop the temperature from rising too high ?
              Open the vents? I've never known it to get too high, although I suppose it would if you placed it on a sunny windowsill.

Comment

Hmmm...need to buy another bowl...
                Well, I'll let you know how it goes - I just received my two wee tomato plants from Victoriana ("Shirley's Pixie" and "Sweet Pea Currant") and I have two graftees from B &Q ("Belriccio" and "Cupido") in a dire state (reduced to 50p, I couldn't resist the challenge) not to mention a wee Beauregard sweet potato, so I literally cannot wait to get going !
                There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Originally posted by dominic10 View Post
                  A little while ago someone posted this link about storing seeds Storing Seeds which might be helpful to someone new to propagating.
                  Thanks for this, dominic.
                  I noted another link within this as well..
                  Vegetable Gardening: a Gardener's Calendar
                  I noticed at a quick glance that I am far behind on planting certain stuff
                  The location is washington state, so the temp would be similar to here, I would think.
                  Last edited by MyLifeWithAndrew; 20-05-2012, 09:27 AM.

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

Comment

I am far behind on planting certain stuff
                    So is everyone: it's been too dark & cold so far

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      Agreed lol... Just home from work and my lettuce seedlings have sprouted and just keep reaching for the sky.

The question is, can I save them or should I just re sow more seeds?

Chris
                      My new website for allotment beginners www.theallotmentshed.co.uk

My Facebook page Please take the the time to "LIKE" https://www.facebook.com/theallotmentshed

Follow on Twitter The Allotment Shed @TASallotment

Comment

...like R E A L L Y behind...
                        I have yet to plant broccoli; put in the cabbage & leek seeds a week ago, etc.
                        Ah well, live and learn (and forget the broccoli...and cauliflower)
                        Will get it right next year.

Reece & The Chicks

Comment

my lettuce seedlings have sprouted and just keep reaching for the sky
                          Too warm, too dark. Lettuce like cool temps, don't give them extra heat. And as much light as you can

I have yet to plant broccoli; put in the cabbage & leek seeds
                          My broc was sown last week, summer cabbages a fortnight ago, and leeks won't go on the plot until June/July

Comment

my lettuce seedlings have sprouted and just keep reaching for the sky
                            Too warm, too dark. Lettuce like cool temps, don't give them extra heat. And as much light as you can

I have yet to plant broccoli; put in the cabbage & leek seeds
                            My broc was sown last week, summer cabbages a fortnight ago, and leeks won't go on the plot until June/July. The ones in the link, I'm still cutting, although a few are now going to seed
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 21-05-2012, 11:31 AM.

Comment

My broc was sown last week, summer cabbages a fortnight ago, and leeks won't go on the plot until June/July. The ones in the link, I'm still cutting, although a few are now going to seed
                              ok....
                              Will put in the broc.
                              Cabbage is in the ground, leeks in the seed trays.

Reece & The Chicks

Comment

Ah see - I think I'm the other way. Brassicas including turnips are all out, as are tiny leeks, onions from seed, beetroot, peas... the blowaways were bursting at the seems and the leeks had stopped growing in their modules. Got successional peas, kale, chard, squash and corn in the blowaways now. I'm behind on carrots/parsnips as the bed is a couch grass mess at the moment and I think the rains killed my first sowing. The brassicas (esp turnips) all have this face (link) now after one week of being out, but all are alive, and I sprinkled some BFB around and told them to get on with it.

It's sunny here right now. First hour of sun since... forever, it feels. Is this... spring...?
                                Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                                Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X