X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew0109 View Post
    this is what they look like
    ... I'm not sure why you've got bubblewrap INSIDE the pot? *puzzled
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

ok lets move on iv got some little plants with their first true leaves growing in those plugs now when do i plant into a pot when there bigger and roots shoot through the plug or before ??
      What plugs?

Comment

you might think it sounds like we're going all wwf on you, but we need more information.
        Like...
        what are you growing in
        what size pot
        have you underwatered/overwatered
        are they in a humid environment etc etc
        the more information you provide, the easier it is to diagnose what's the matter, saying it's a disease, there are grey bits, doesn't mean anything without all the information and a good picture of the plant.
        The same with the plugs. Did you buy plants in, what od they look like, how have you been growing them, keeping them where etc.
        You sound fairly new to growing, so I expect it's a bit frustrating not to have immediate answers to your problems, but we really do need more information to help.
        Last edited by taff; 14-05-2012, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Its a big tub with bubble wrap over the soil and stones to keep it on there i did that to keep the plant warm overnight because they were being kept in the dark garage sometims days on end they desperatly needed light so i thought they might die in the cold nightime temps at the moment they seem ok ill take it off once the temp picks up a big and before you ask the reason they spent too long in a garage is that the people who look after them simply dont have the time or energy to kepp taking them in and out every morning and night what with kids, work, etc so this is my solution . One more thing when is the temp gonna pick up???? wheres the nice weather??

Comment

One more thing when is the temp gonna pick up???? wheres the nice weather??
            If I knew the answer to that I would be a millionnaire

Comment

Its a big tub with bubble wrap over the soil and stones to keep it on there i did that to keep the plant warm overnight because they were being kept in the dark garage sometims days on end they desperatly needed light so i thought they might die in the cold nightime temps at the moment they seem ok ill take it off once the temp picks up a big and before you ask the reason they spent too long in a garage is that the people who look after them simply dont have the time or energy to kepp taking them in and out every morning and night what with kids, work, etc so this is my solution . One more thing when is the temp gonna pick up???? wheres the nice weather??
              So are they your plants, or do they belong to these other people?

Comment

The compost is already insulating the roots so there's no need to wrap the tub in bubble-wrap, it's the growth above the compost that you need to protect during the colder times.

It's supposed to be getting warmer on Sunday where I live, though it's nice weather now, there's just a cool breeze to accompany it. The warmer weather should be staying for at least a couple of weeks.

Please try to use a modicum of punctuation in these longer posts, I found it difficult to read.
                Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

sorry my grmmer is awful. Ill take off bubble wrap soon wed maybe its been along day today there my plants at my mate house and my others are at my house. As for the plug info i forgot what there called there like disks of soil and you put water in them and they expand and there perfect but my pot ones arnt doing great. The pot size really isnt a problem because last year we grew perfect tomatoes in smaller pot size

Comment

Jiffy pots?

Comment

Your damaged tomatoes are definitely sun burnt.

Jiffy pellets? I'd pot up the plant as soon as you seen roots so it has some nutrients...

Comment

You could have a spot of botrytis from keeping them in the garage, they need light as much as warmth, and a cold dark garage with humidity piling up around the base isn't good for them. It sounds a bit like a grown-up version of damping off, where the [usually] seedling stalk is attacked by diseases in water...what you could do is put the bubble round the plant, not touching the leaves, and leave it outside in a sheltered spot. It sounds like you've more or less hardened them off, they just need a bit of wind protection.
                        If you pot up tomatoes gradually, it's better than putting them in a big pot to start with. Regular feeding and watering means you can grow tomatoes in smaller pots than you'd think, my father usually grows his in smaller pots than me, but he's there all the time to water them daily and look after them daily, I'm not, so I need bigger pots.

The opnes you put in jiffy pots should be potted on when you see roots coming out the bottom, but those things are a nightmare to keep moist, so keep an eye on them.

RL is right, we none of us know when the weather's going to get better, my plants would love to know that too
                        Last edited by taff; 14-05-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Andrew I see you live close to the Humber, what have the winds and night time temperatures been like round there.

Colin
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Iv spoken to some people and there tomatoes are dying because of the weather so maybe everyones right its scorch marks. Last night i accidently left my tomato outside, now its dead oopps lol it was my best one too.

Comment

Andrew, hope you won't mind me saying this, but are you sure you want to grow toms?

Comment

I do and i try my best however i dont take super serious

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X