No announcement yet.

Tomato growing help!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i brought asdas own brand soil and maybe its got peat in it im not sure ill take a pic of the bag and let me know if it contains it would it be a problem if i did? whats a good soil brand ??

Comment

Andrew there is no problem with peat in compost as far as growing things in it. I for one prefer it above peat free. The problem a lot of people find with using peat is the enviromental one.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

im not convinced its scorch marks cos the sun hasnt been very strong at all the tomatos you see looks like its spreding from leaf to leaf and the plants at this house have the marks on and the ones at my house dont and the ones at mine are in more direct sun for longer and they dont have the marks just theses ones. Lets for get scorch marks for the time being could it be anything else?

Comment

they can be scorched by the wind as well as the sun
          Last edited by taff; 14-05-2012, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I had the exact same with my tomatoes a couple of weeks ago(mine was probably a bit worse tbh). I have two window cills in my kitchen and it affected all the Toms on one cill - the others on the other window were all fine. The advice I had from here was that it was scorch so I've moved them away from the offending window! The good news is that they've all survived and the new growth since they've been moved is unaffected.

Comment

Forgetting scorch could it be anything else?? some leaves are dying and some stems are very limp and some plants are covered in grey spots iv never have this with my tomato plants at my other address and they have more sun than they do hear so that makes me think its a diease or something i just dont know what?

Comment

grey mould could be botrytis, usually caused by a lack of airflow/too much humidity...

Comment

is it treatable if so how and thanks

Comment

well, yoiu can remove the affected leaves, and decrease the humidity, increase the airflow.
                    Can you post a picture of the whole plant and a close up of the grey bits?

Comment

Having just done a bit of a Google search on your behalf, I suspect that if it's not scorch - and it's looking less likely that it is, you may have a case of bacterial canker in the early stages.

Here's a website that lists twenty different tomato diseases and abiotic problems, complete with symptom descriptions and, in most cases, a picture or two of tomato leaves affected by these diseases. You have to click on the disease name to see the pictures.

I hope this helps to determine the problem, even if it doesn't offer a cure, at least you'll have an answer.

Greenhouse Tomatoes: Diseases and Abiotic Problems
                      Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

ok lets move on iv got some little plants with their first true leaves growing in those plugs now when do i plant into a pot when there bigger and roots shoot through the plug or before ??

Comment

it still looks like scorch to me, with a bit of 'they need feeding'.
                          Whats that brown stuff? and a picture of the whole plant?
                          is that brown stuff keeping plastic down on top of the plantpot? if it is, take it off, take the plastic off, and sniff the compost.

Comment

For the life of me I can't work out what your tomatoes are growing in. It looks like a bubble wrap bag, inside some sort of pot with stone chips on top of the compost - if there is compost underneath the chippings.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X