Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dwarf sunflowers - how quick do they grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have just shrivelled up and died so they have gone to sunflower heaven and I will start anew with some more seeds. I was hoping to get a few in a pot, although I know generally sunflowers are one per pot. I was hoping that being dwarf I could get away with it as I have a fairly large grey pot (I think it's 34cm) that would look good with a few nice bright tall yellow flowers. Could I fit 2 or 3 into a pot that size? It did say in the instructions that they were delicate and to be careful when moving them so I'm worried I've damaged the roots when I repotted them and will end up doing the same again. Would it be any good putting them in peat pots of something so that I can just pot the whole thing into a bigger pot?

Comment

I tried some Teddy Bear, sown direct, last year ~ no show

I did some in the gh a few weeks ago ~ pathetic. Very thin spindly stems. In contrast, Little Leo is going great guns and has already been planted out in the school beds
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomato Head View Post
        Could I fit 2 or 3 into a pot ?
        Look at the packet: what distance does it say to plant them apart? (Little Leo is 12" apart, for example)

I've found that sunflowers aren't mad keen on being transplanted, but if you do, take as good a root ball with it as you can: 3" pots work for me
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Maybe I'll give up on the teddy bear then and try something else. They were pretty spindly. I do have some more seeds though so I'll try putting them one to a small pot and see what happens.

Comment

I've grown most types of sunflowers over the years as I love them. Teddy bear are best sown directly outside in your pot with a plastic bottle cloche over it with some copper tape around it.
            I would only have 1 plant in a pot that size, but you could squeeze in 2 but you'll get smaller plants.
            I did a trial several years ago........which ones will the slugs and snails eat first and Teddy bear went 2nd after the red ones.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X