No announcement yet.

Germinating peppers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeds all have an in built timer, they have to be above a certain temperature for a certain amount of time for them to germinate, if the temperature drops below the required temperature before the timer is up it resets

All seeds are different, Peppers need quite a high temperature for quite a long time, mine took a week or so to germinate in heated propagators, It took a lot longer last year when I did them without the extra heat, 3 weeks or so I think
    Last edited by Urban; 18-04-2012, 11:38 PM.

Comment

I did manage to germinate some chilli seeds on a cold windowsill once in March, but the seedlings succumbed to the cold quite quickly and died.

It's much more reliable if you can give them some heat
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The pots are inside a propagator (well a gravel tray covered by an 88p Wilko propagator lid) so although not completely sealed they shouldn't dry out too quickly. I will keep a careful eye (and finger) on them.

I found the seed packet last night. I think they are Thompson and Morgan seeds - they were given away with Good Food magazine two years ago. Hopefully they are still viable. The variety is California Wonder.

Hopefully the seeds haven't rotted - the compost is damp but not wet, so hopefully they are OK.

Comment

The two courgettes that I put in the airing cupboard yesterday have now begun to appear. The two on the kitchen windowsill haven't yet. I only sowed them 4 days ago. Still waiting for the peppers...

Comment

The peppers and squashes have begun to appear after putting in the airing cupboard. Was away Saturday night so the two seedlings in one pot are yellow and have got very leggy and touched the propagator lid. Now that they are on the windowsill they have changed to green.

So the airing cupboard appears to be a great success but obviously the seedlings have to be moved into the light quickly once they appear.

Comment

Originally posted by rpt View Post
              Was away Saturday night so the two seedlings in one pot are yellow and have got very leggy and touched the propagator lid. Now that they are on the windowsill they have changed to green.
              Just to say, peppers being leggy isn't a problem - it often happens when people sow them in Feb (as an attempt to increase the growing season). Treat peppers like tomatoes by planting them deep when they are moved into their final locations/pots.
              Last edited by mcuk; 23-04-2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X