No announcement yet.

growing sweetcorn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They grow the same height as normal sweetcorn: 4'-6' depending on conditions
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yes, our's are already started, I planted then into propogators about 2 weeks ago, we've now got 3 trays of about 35 each at between 1" and 4" tall, they are currently in the bedroom windowsill, but will be going into the greenhouse at home today, we will be planting them out sometime in the next 4 weeks, usually the first week in May (which is early, but we've been fortunate with the weather for the past 4 years). Good luck with yours!

PS There is a vid on our blog showing the seedlings at home, the last big of which shows the sweetcorn in the modules
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Got some sweetcorn - in proporgators now but just in seed trays and not in root trainers.

noticed (reading this thread) everyone has them in those root trainers - is this important ?

Where will I get some of them nice and cheap ?

Comment

They're not cheap really to be honest, I got mine cheaper than usual (half price) during a sale event. They're usually around £8.

They're basically just deep modules, that open up like books.

Kitchen roll tubes work the same, but watering them has to be done carefully as they can collapse/end up mouldy

I use both.

Comment

Ours are in standard 40 cell seed trays, have been using them for the past 4 years with no problem whatsoever, I know that root trainers will give more depth, but its not something we've had problems with
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
              Kitchen roll tubes work the same, but watering them has to be done carefully as they can collapse/end up mouldy
              So how do you water kitchen/loo rolls so they don't got mouldy?

Comment

Just a little at a time - trying not to wet the cardboard tube (doesn't always happen), rather than from the bottom like I do with root trainers, and pots.

Comment

I have more trouble with loo rolls drying out than falling apart but always use root trainers for my beans and sweet corn as I have invested and find them easier to support and move around as well - plus we don't use enough loo roll for all those we'd need

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                    Just a little at a time - trying not to wet the cardboard tube (doesn't always happen), rather than from the bottom like I do with root trainers, and pots.
                    Doesn't the cardboard get wet by sucking water out of the compost?

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    I have more trouble with loo rolls drying out than falling apart but always use root trainers for my beans and sweet corn as I have invested and find them easier to support and move around as well - plus we don't use enough loo roll for all those we'd need
                    How long do root trainers last - can you use them over and over for many years?

Comment

rpt, Have a look at my experimental homemade root trainers and all the discussions about them. http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ers_63639.html
                      All the seedlings are still growing but no more photos.

Comment

Originally posted by rpt View Post
                        How long do root trainers last - can you use them over and over for many years?
                        It depends on how brutal you are with them. My oldest ones are about 10 years old and are used over and over each year. So far have grown two lots of broad beans (now planted out), sweet peas (still in them), sweet corn (still in them), 2 lots of 10 heritage pea seeds (still in them) and will be sowing runner, French and bolotti beans in them in the near future. A few of them are no longer properly attached at the bottom but they still hold togehter well in the stands and in my oppinion are well worth the expenditure and although people have made their own the modular layout of them in a block is a major advantage to store 32 quite reasonably sized plants in a very small area.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X