No announcement yet.

noob question over compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 50/50 mix of MPC and top-soil should work well, though I just used MPC for convenience.
    Adding sharp-sand should help with drainage, so you could maybe go with a 40/40/20 mix of MPC/TS/SS.
    Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

ok, thank you.

one jumbo bag of topsoil being delivered thursday, i still have some compost as stated and i do already have some sharp sand too ( used in chicken run) so will mix it all up.

will my spuds that i planted in potato bags be ok in just compost or would i be better off removing them and starting again?

Comment

Originally posted by jps View Post
        ok, thank you.

one jumbo bag of topsoil being delivered thursday, i still have some compost as stated and i do already have some sharp sand too ( used in chicken run) so will mix it all up.

will my spuds that i planted in potato bags be ok in just compost or would i be better off removing them and starting again?
        I personally would not use your Dalek compost where you are putting carrots or parsnipa as it will bw too rich I think.
        Spuds will be fine. However, have you just planted them in a few inches with the intention of topping them up as you go (ie earthing up). If so, leave the compsot where it is and just add some from your dalek and the topsoil as the growth starts to show through the soil/compost mix

Comment

Oops. Duplicated my post!!
          Last edited by Sanjo; 03-04-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

thank you, they are in bags with the idea to earth up as they show, i will use the new stuff on them then, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by jps View Post
              thank you, they are in bags with the idea to earth up as they show, i will use the new stuff on them then, thank you.

You can also "top up" with grass clippings if you are short of soil/compost. Anything really so that the green haulms are protected as they appear, especially at this time of year when frosts are unpredictable
              Last edited by Sanjo; 03-04-2012, 05:04 PM.

Comment

oic, thats good to know.

we arent short of compost or soil atm, well we wont be when the jumbo bag arrives but always good to have more ideas.

Comment

This info is too late for your spuds this year, but save up the Autumn leaves when they fall and put them in bags or just a big old pile, then use them for earthing next years spuds.
                  Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

ooh thats a good idea although we mainly only get holly leaves in our garden, would they still work?

do they need to go in bags to rot down a bit or just leaves as they are?

Comment

Or save your old compost in the bags over winter and use this for earthing up next years spuds. Just sweeten it with a little growmore or BFB.

Colin
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

ok, thank you

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X