No announcement yet.

Water

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its an late 1800 terrace in sheffield. Good old metal gutters still up the and the old style tarred wodden surround. But looking at the little down pipe that goes between my roof and the other mid terrace I can come up with cutting and adding in the splitter like we would do normally on a down pipe. Just need to get up the ladders to do. Looks like i need to clean the gutters any way as looks like i have some nice long grass growing....

So think i am sorted and then can tidely strap the pipe down the side of the waste pipe and then down in to the butt. With some sort of stopping device to stop the pipe flowing when butt is full. Garden is to small to actually have more than 1 100liter butt. I have 4 fruit trees etc all on the patio as well.

Comment

Dont know where my reply went but i have firstly added sheffield to location and its old style Cast Iron gutters i still have or metal gutters with woddern surrounds. There is a down pipe as there terrace is on a hill and it is just about 50cm long dropping from my terrace to neighbours terrace. Going to put splitter of that and then tie the pipe to the waste pipe and then in to the butt coming up with some sort of tap to stop it when the butt is full. It is a real small garden will attach some photos so you can get an idea. The patio has the 4 fruit trees on as well so you can imagine its a bit crammed and the 100L butt will take up some space as well.

The gutters need a good clean and a paint after looking at this as it looks like i have a playing field growing in them. So after dealing with the compost solution on another tthreead this weekend next weekned will be the butt and plumbing it up.

Comment

photo hopefully this works and this was last year after the work was done and you can imagine now i have 4 fruit trees in pots as well leaves no room for much else and the 100l butt i want to do my bit for environment even though we are not in hose pipe ban area.
        Attached Files

Comment

Just as an alternative but not sure if there is any more room but could it be possible to get a slimline water butt (Space Saving Butts :: Water Butts Direct) and attach a piece of corrugated plastic to one of the walls or build a small structure from timber then attach a guttering system into the butt. Even a small area will yield a good amount of water.

Comment

I don't want to put a spanner in your works - but would it not be easier to rig up a drainpipe under those coping stones and slink a slimline water butt in that bed at the back - the coping stones would collect a decent amount over winter and would help you out in the summer...without cutting up your Victorian cast iron drainage system.

As much as we all like to do our bit - I would just water that lot when it needs it, from a watering can filled from the tap.
            Last edited by zazen999; 25-03-2012, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread. It is something I have been giving a lot of thought to recently. I have a slimline water butt on the green house and will soon get some guttering up on the 6x4 shed.

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
              From what you say about the grey water (bath, sink etc) mixing with the top water (gutters) I would think you live in a Victorian/Edwardian house. Colin

The downpipe at the back of my house has the bathroom grey water and the down pipe from the guttering going into one hopper to a single downpipe to ground level. I'm guessing it was a bit of a botch job though because there is a side extension to the house. The rainwater downpipe is approx 12" down the side of the house but has a bend to bring it to the back and into the hopper. The only solution I can see is to bring the rainwater down in a second pipe.

Perhaps I'll try to work out how to add a photo for you to have a look Colin

Great garden by the way Jimbob
              Last edited by singleseeder; 25-03-2012, 08:38 AM.
              Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
              Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

Bodge job done now bring on the rain. will have to get a photo sorted but was tested from attic window with a bucket of water and it works

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X