No announcement yet.

What to stand root trainers on?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you've got a polytunnel, why are you bothering with roottrainers at all? Why not just sow direct into the soil?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      If you've got a polytunnel, why are you bothering with roottrainers at all? Why not just sow direct into the soil?
      It's for the plants that are then going to be planted out in the garden later or for those that are going into a tunnel bed when something else comes out.

Is this thread over-complicating the roottrainer? I don't like them, but keep using them because they cost so much.
      I wouldn't describe them as being "in the air" but I think I know what you mean Marchagoeth. I don't keep them on the ground/soil, they sit in the greenhouse with the other seed trays
      I think it could be (overcomplicating). I think I got the answer - there needs to be air pruning of the roots as the emerge out the bottom. Interesting you are not impressed. It's too early for me to say yet but I already think they might be a bit overhyped and are deffinitely only going to be worth doing for certain crops.
      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

I'm with TS, I think you are over complicating things, just stand them in seed trays.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
          Interesting you are not impressed.
          Last year we (school garden) got better results, ie stronger plants, from loo rolls than roottrainers, for peas & beans. Less messy too (the roottrainers tend to flop compost all over the place, and the kids struggle to fill them in the first place).

Comment

But they're not made for school kids...I think if you like them, you like 'em. If you don't, don't buy them.

When I assisted the teaching assistants running the Eco club, most children were to be found throwing the dirt around. Children don't like to keep gardening tidy, if they can get away with it!
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
              I got all the stuff taht goes with them, frame, lid etc but when I stand the trainers in their lttle plastic fram on say an empty bed in the tunnel there is not a clear/very big gap between the bottom of the trainers and the ground so I was asking do the need to be lifted up to make a deffinite break between then bottom of the poyta nd the ground so that the roots that stick out die and the rest of the roots become the thick, healthy ball we see in the pictures. My question was prompted by seeing these frames for holding the trainers and their plastic frames in. So thanks for all the interest and replies, I'm with Kleftiwallah:-
              I sowed my sweetcorn in mine this week and i still have the original outer packing from when they were new as that is how I store them. The picture on the outside shows the tip that comes through the bottom will die off therefore forcing the rootball to grow thicker inside the trainer. It wont die off if it can reach the soil it is sitting on. Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                But they're not made for school kids...
                Well, they (roottrainers) get sent free to our school every year! I don't know who sends them, I just get the contents not the packaging. Bladdy things, I hate them

Comment

They are certainly not easy to fill as if you are too heavy handed filling with compost they just break open. I have, in the past, tied a bit of garden wire round them for ease of movement, but it's a pain to have to do it.
                  On the other hand, I find them useful so...... I put up with it.

Comment

I can't understand this! I put them in the frame, then fill with a scoop - sow and when the roots are out the bottom, take each book out, and therein lies a nice root ball which goes straight into the ground. The only time I have loose compost is if one didn't germinate, but then I usually sow 2 in each so this doesn't happen often
                    Last edited by zazen999; 07-03-2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjo View Post
                      They are certainly not easy to fill as if you are too heavy handed filling with compost they just break open. I have, in the past, tied a bit of garden wire round them for ease of movement, but it's a pain to have to do it.
                      On the other hand, I find them useful so...... I put up with it.
                      Elastic band?.............
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Sanjo, how do they break open? It takes me all my time to push the last book into the cradle without squashing it.

Comment

Mine too. I do like them, I'll have yours TS

Comment

I don't understand the problem with them falling open either, that's surely part of the point of the frame which holds them all together for filling, growing and transporting.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                              I can't understand this! I put them in the frame, then fill with a scoop - sow and when the roots are out the bottom, take each book out, and therein lies a nice root ball which goes straight into the ground. The only time I have loose compost is if one didn't germinate, but then I usually sow 2 in each so this doesn't happen often
                              Same here. For me, if they weren't so pricey, I'd have more than two sets. They are a fantastic reuse invention. The frame holds them all tight. You fill them up. You plant your seeds. They have a gravel tray to collect the water. What's not to like? You pop them open, take your rootball out, drop it in the planting hole. Take them home, clean them out (if you're OCD - I'll say it before you do Zaz), use them again. Simples! Eek...
                              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Well, they (roottrainers) get sent free to our school every year! I don't know who sends them, I just get the contents not the packaging. Bladdy things, I hate them
                                I'll have them then along with Taff. You can have my naff old plant pots for kids

Just had a thought...my daughter used my last lot for her sweet pea sowing - she's twelve...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X