No announcement yet.

Seed Packets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a knife too. Same principle as letter opening knife. The foil packet inside I tend to tear the short edge off then fold over as it stays folded. Pop it back in the seed packet and bulldog clip that days sewings together with a note of the date then store in seed box. Actually I've just noticed that the boxes you buy laundry washing tablets in are just the right size for standing seed packets in, the small ones minus the lid. I was thinking of splitting them into families like curcubits, legumes and so on with a box for each.

My OH not interested in gardening so no danger of him interfering with my storage technique. You should have your own storage techniques and seeds maybe. Everybody has their own way of of doing things that work best for them.

Comment

I just rip it half off. That way, even if the info on the back is bisected it's still there. Then I fold it over if necessary, although as my seed tin is such a tight fit (about A5 sized) they don't shift about at all so folding is usually unnecessary.

Proud member of the Nutters Club.
      Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

I use a knife to slit it open. I used to tear the top half like Kaiya, but got very annoyed with the seed packets sticking together when looking at them in the box. Now I slit them open with the knife, use what I need, then fold the bottom up to keep it shut. Works very well indeed
        I often use the knife to pick up tiny seeds when sowing them too - I pour seeds into my hand, then use the knife to pick one up and drop it in place in the seed tray. I find that makes it easy to separate tiny seeds (am I sounding like Singleseeder yet?) lol
        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

My other 'arf only does the potatoes and tomates, plus marigolds as companions to the toms, so I guess a separate seed box may help there....
          I have two knives already - why didn't I think of that? Saved me going off today to buy a wee pair of scissors.
          And yes, I have axes too ;-) (Not all of them are his! Mine is biggest!!! (but he uses that one))

As for planting the seeds, I have a wee green thingy with a plastic lid which has different sized holes in the side - you take off the plastic lid, put your seeds in the green thingy, and replace the lid with the relevant sized hole pointing at the slide-thingy - then tap the seeds into the drill or whatever. I have an 'orrible feeling I may be like Singleseeder yet - do I need help??
          If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Peas'n'Kews - it is everyone else who needs help, not us
            Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
            Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              I have lots of pairs of cheap scissors, anywhere that they could possibly be useful. Trouble they all end up in the same place eventually.
              How does that happen VC? Mine are spread around too but always end up back in the kitchen drawer.......weird!

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Originally posted by Newton View Post
                How does that happen VC? Mine are spread around too but always end up back in the kitchen drawer.......weird!
                Mine aren't so well trained - they're usually all together under a heap of books and magazines, with a collection of pens and reading glasses, on the kitchen table. You'd think I'd know where to find them by now!!

Comment

I use the Snadger method, apart from losing them for 5 years. I went through my box yesterday and found I had three or four half packets of 8 vegetable seeds. Don't know quite how I managed that, but it's rectified now.
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

i'm in the "sod it" situation with seed packets

rip open
                    sow all seed, no matter how many in it
                    i'm bound to drop some seed, non germination, over water, break when pricking out, forget to water pricked out seed, overwater resulting plants, drop a few pots on the way to the allotement..(i not kid here..took some of wifeys plants to lottie, dropped off at top of plot next to road then reversed car over them whilst heading for the parking bay...)
                    there, 200 seeds, resulting in just enough produce...works all the time, no seed needed to store.

ohh, then a lovely afternoon searching through the seed sale bins in GC @ 50p a pack..
                    Last edited by The Large One; 27-02-2012, 05:09 PM.

Comment

i use 'the large ones' method - throw the whole packet in, and give the excess plants away.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X