I just had the phone call!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by di View Post
    I might petition for a coffee shop on our plot. How nice would that be?
    It would be superb. The old boys have a shed for a coffee shop down the bottom end, but Wimmin aren't invited.

Every time I try to boil up my twig kettle for a brew, the Cow Of A Neighbour jumps up my fence complaining about my "bonfire". Last time I told her it was a BBQ, but she weren't having it.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Our old boys don't drink coffee in their sheds. I was offered a swig out of a beer can once, I think I made the excuse that even a sip in hot weather would make me feel ill
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Hello!

So I am back!

I have signed the deal! Getting it free for the first year - then its £16 a year! Bargain!! Well I think so!

When I have put baby to bed later and worked out how to, I will add some pics! But for now here is some info!

As soon as I got there two allotment holders came over to chat to me which was lovely! Very friendly I thought!

There is only about 12 plots on the site! 6 water taps, a toilet.

The plot is totally blank, no shed or anything, I think that's great though! Most of the plot gets the sun all day - others are in a lot of shade!! So that's a bonus I think?!

Looking to put a small shed and greenhouse at the top - he said these need to be well anchored down as it gets very windy! At the top of the plot would be against the fence and is the area of the plot which gets some shade - which I thought would be great to sit and recover in!!?

He says no real need for a soft fruit cage - what is people's opinions of this please?

It's not horrific but there is quite a few weeds which I am concerned as to what they are - I am going to add pics later in the hope you can please help me!

There is a well established huge clump of rhubarb which I am very very pleased about love rhubarb - slightly concerned because of the leaves and baby though - do you think I could put it in a type of cage to stop her touching the leaves? All suggestions greatly received!

What else can I say?!

Oh yes he said some plots do suffer from club root (have I got that right?). Can I do anything about this?

I will put pics up later and hopefully you can all please help me more!?

I have already put my status on Facebook as if anyone has any unwanted garden equipment I would be very very appreciative!!!

I am ssssssooooooooooooo excited! I cannot begin to tell you all how excited I am!!

I signed the paperwork today and got the key! We are going back tomorrow with tape measure to measure the exact plot so I can work it out and hopefully get started on it quite soon!

Thank you all!

Two sheds - you never know I might just paint it blue!! Lol!

Coffee shop sounds fantastic! I thought I might bake some cakes to take up first couple of times to show kindness! They don't have any social occasions on allotment! Thought I might see if people fancied a BBQ in the summer!

Sue

X

Comment

Sue, it sounds wonderful. Your excitement is infectious!!

Comment

Excellent news

How old is babe? I might be more inclined to make an enclosed area for her, at least until you've got the plot half cleared. There was all manner of rubbish on mine, under the grass and just below the surface, from broken glass to sharp rusty metal.

Enjoy. xx

Comment

Originally posted by vegtable newbie! View Post
              It's 7 rods - what's that pease?
              You'll see there Imperial Measures of Area that a square rod (pole or perch) = 30.25 squ yds. A full
              sized plot is reckoned to be 300 squ yds, so you have just short of a three quarter sized plot

Comment

I would go with Di as regards baby. Until you have cleared the plot and know it is free from sharps it would be a play pen type of thing.

Looking on the black side are your tetanus jabs upto date.

Oh and well done lucky you.

Colin
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Hello!

Thank you all very much for your comments! baby is a year old a week tomorrow! Am planning for first few weeks to leave baby with granny or nanny at home while hubby and I get the major work done. After that I plan to have her in her pushchair or a travel cot/play pen on site until she is sturdy on her feet and knows the boundaries! (I am a bit concerned about having her with me while so young so any suggestions would be gratefully received thank you!). I was thinking of after that, I want to make sure she is safe from the rhubarb! Thank you very much for all your concern though.

The plot has currently got a few bags of glass bottles and a few loose bottles on it, which the site manager has very kindly said he is going to get rid of for me.

No, I don't think my tetanus jabs are up to date! Should they be?

I am just going to work out how to add pics!

Thank you!

Sue

Comment

Bit of a joke really Sue, but as others have pointed out you never know whats under the cover so wear study gloves until you know your plot well would be my advice.

Colin
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

My tetanus jabs were kept up to date by accident - if you get my drift! I've had so many now I'm immune. Most of my friends would like me to suffer from lockjaw - I don't know why?
                      Its a serious point that Pots makes though - you can never be too careful.

Comment

When mine were babes...only 7 and 9 now...I couldn't believe how useless friends and family were when I asked advice, they could never remember....Welll, now mine are 7 and 9, I can't remember the ins and outs of when they were babes. DD was only about a year old when we got the plot, what I did to entertain/keep him safe...I haven't a clue. I can remember sitting him in the middle of a freshly dug bed once, he found a worm and sucked the dirt off I 'think' when he was that little I just took advantage of him sleeping or being happy in his push chair. Do you drive? Can you park near your plot, that was another lifesaver, if ever he fell asleep in the car, I'd nip to the plot for an hour.

You will find a way. I raise my hand to being a little disorganised, if I did it........your moments of pride will be when she eats your produce and then in a year or two, her very own lottie grown produce. All the best with it. xx
                        Last edited by di; 25-02-2012, 11:08 PM. Reason: forgot to finish another sentence.

Comment

Couple on plot near me carry their bairn on their back like a rucksack sling type thingy even when they are working.............looks scary but the kid seems to love it.
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X