No announcement yet.

To pea or not to pea?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, do that. If you start something indoors, don't forget to harden off before they get put outside.

I save my loo rolls for French beans, so they get a head start in the unheated gh.

Peas I chit first, then sow direct, because they tolerate lower temps than the Frenchies do.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ok, the snow and ice has all gone (for now?) and I've got the soil warming under polythene so I am thinking of chitting the peas later this week as per Two Sheds advice and then sowing them direct under fleece. Just wondered, does it matter how they are planted once sprouting - i.e. sprouting bit up or down?

Comment

^ doesn't matter. The pea knows which way to grow

Comment

Thanks, pleased to hear it!

Comment

Another quick question - I soaked peas as suggested and they now have shoots. I didn't sow them today as forecast to be cold tonight. Will it hurt to leave them sprouting in kitchen roll for a few more days as I'm not going to get a chance to plant out until thursday?

Comment

They'll be fine. Keep rinsing them once a day in clean water so they don't go mouldy

Comment

Can peas be grown downwards instead of up supports? Like with toms and strawberrys?

Comment

Thanks TS for the chitting advice, just had a look under the fleece and seedlings already coming through a week after sowing. Just got to wait a few months now until I can start picking some fresh peas...

Comment

Well the peas are growing fine and the first few flowers are now coming through. I guess all the rain has helped with the lush, green growth, but there don't seem to be that many flowers as yet. Just wondered if the flowers (and hopefully peas) will come in there own good time or whether a bit of tomato food would be of any benefit?

Comment

Hang on and watch them grow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X