No announcement yet.

Best way to kill slugs and snails?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squish, stab, poke with fork, throw (not onto fire like some people do). Have used beer traps very successfully and not found other more beneficial creatures in there...so far. But will take advice of escape routes.

Did anybody ever see that episode of River Cottage when they tried to cook and eat slugs on the premise that anatomically should be the same as snails without shells? Blugh!

Comment

Is it true that if you use the blue slugkiller that it attracts the slugs and snails but if you stop using them the slugs can still smell them for up to 5 years after?
      Maybe thats why people keep getting lots of slugs and snails.

Comment

Slugs eat the dog poo in my garden if they get to it before I do. Sad loosers!

I don't know about the blue stuff. In the warmer months I gather them and put them on top of the the bird table. I hate the feel of them. Even worse than dog poo. Not that I use bare hands you understand.

Comment

Best way to kill slugs and snails.

I may have mentioned this before. Someone told me about an ad. in the paper offering something which would guarantee complete eradication of slug. When you sent your money off you got a box with two blocks of wood in. Also instructions saying "place slug on one piece of wood and hit hard with the other". I hate slugs as well so I thought that for such a grim subject, this may just give you a laugh.
          There's pleasure sure in being mad that only madmen know - Anon

Comment

Looks like I'll be buying cheaper beer than usual then, very willing to give anything a go once. I like the idea of just burying a tin of beer and waiting for it to fill up with those horrible little pale brown slugs, they're definitely the worse miscreants.
            We have lots of frogs and toads on the lottie but as someone mentioned I don't think slugs are on the menu. Would love to reintroduce hedgehogs to our site, but our resident foxes are too numerous to even consider it?
            Cheers!
            Death to all slugs!

Comment

Originally posted by unclefudgly View Post
              Looks like I'll be buying cheaper beer than usual then
              You can also use old Marmite jars: just fill with water, shake up the dregs of Marmite (lid on!) then lid off, bury the jar up to its rim (add twigs for the beetles & spiders) and wait ... soon you'll have lovely Sluggy Marmite Soup

Originally posted by unclefudgly View Post
              Would love to reintroduce hedgehogs
              If conditions are right, they'll just come. We get one in our back garden occasionally, I've seen its poops. The nearest habitat for them is more than 200 yards away, all the other gardens round us are concreted car parks. It either climbs the 6ft fence, or squeezes itself through the 3" gap under the gate
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Scissors for me too in the open garden and raised beds. For containers, I generously smear the edges with petroleum jelly. That works like a charm.
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                  Scissors for me too in the open garden and raised beds. For containers, I generously smear the edges with petroleum jelly. That works like a charm.
                  That sounds like a great idea for raised beds! I wonder if something like silicon wax might do instead? I shall take some with me tomorrow and give it a go.

Death to all slugs!

Comment

If you want to get rid of Slugs try The Worlds Best & Safest Slug & Snail Control Device ..it is safe for children,pets ,birds and the environment, it last for around 20 years..google it... Slugbell.

Michael

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X