Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

overwintering broad beans..is it worth it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just eaten the first broadies of the year, so yes, for me overwintering is definitely worth it. This looks like the best year ever for them: they loved all the April rain and are taller than I've ever managed to get them before, plus the blackfly only arrived today and I was ready for them (squish squish)
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      I've just eaten the first broadies of the year, so yes, for me overwintering is definitely worth it. This looks like the best year ever for them: they loved all the April rain and are taller than I've ever managed to get them before, plus the blackfly only arrived today and I was ready for them (squish squish)
      We've just had our first ones, too (Aquadulce). Have to admit they came out of the tunnel, though.The beans are really big and so much tastier than frozen ones (of course).

The poor old garden ones were taken out, not by the first 60pmh gale but the second just as they were recovering. Partly my fault, I should have looked after them better and will do this winter. I'm currently trying some field beans from The Real Seed Co - smaller pods, more of them and smaller beans apparently, certainly the plants are romping away so far.
      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

me too TS. Planted Aquadulce in mid November in the ground, just as the Old Boys on the Plot told me to, and they are ready for harvest now. The first on the site so I'm chuffed . I suspect that it might be because I babied them in the really cold snap and put a fleece tunnel over them (to the horror of the OBOTP), but they've paid me back for my kindness

Interestingly, although they got munched by Pea and Bean Weevils and got a bit of chocolate spot in the wet a month or so back, I didn't really have any problem with blackfly (though I will be planting a bit wider apart next year to avoid the chocolate spot)

Comment

Had our first broadies a week ago from overwintered Aquadulce. Plants are tall (over 3ft most of them) and healthy. They've got a bit of choc splot and the weevils have had a good old nibble, but neither of these things has proved a real problem and we're looking forward to beans for some weeks to come - might have to freeze some! Not seen any blackfly yet, but have nipped out and eaten the tops in case!
          Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Very weird year for me this year but courtesy of TS's sage advice last year, my Aquadulce are one of the few successes so far. Huge plants, huge pods and beans just coming good now.
            We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner.

Comment

As usual AquaD were sown direct in Nov. then a couple of rows of Suttons in Feb/March.

Very good results this year...nice sheltered spot...Usually it's the windrock that causes blackleg. Been eating broadies for a week or so now...yummy.

The trouble is the mice...they've dug up 1/2 the Suttons and are now busy munching into AqD pods...Grrrr. Never known a year like it for rodents...even ate holes in my leather gloves...(left for just 2 nights in lottie greenhouse).

Not quite sure what to do...traps might catch bird's etc, I can't see that a bean in the 'humane' trap will be that tempting in amongst 30 sq yards of them!!

Still...I s'pose it's all academic now as the whole lot will probably be flat after this storm......not easy this veg growing!!

Comment

We have just finished the ones planted in the poly in Feb and our outside ones started in Nov are full of beans and just about ready to follow on now......at least they were before this latest gale....probably broken and battered now....going to go and assess damage later. This was my first year overwintering and will definately do the same again. If nothing else it's great to have something growing during those winter months and they were pretty hardy little things!

Comment

I always overwinter (well for the last 3 years!) some aquadulce. But I do cover them in a cheapo small polytunnel, which kept the snow off at least.

Ate our first bbs last week, heaven!

Need to finish the last box of them from the freezer so we can start all over again!

(I LOVE BBs!)
                  If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

i'm on a self-sufficiency mission, so i'll be growing broad beans (aquadulce) over the winter .... hopefully with more luck than in the past ....
                    idea is to use the ground all year round
                    i'll put them in an 8x8 bed to hopefully be finished in time for something else to go in the ground straight after ....
                    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Was my first year growing Aquadulce beans and planted them out in November too...have some ready to harvest now, so looking forward to them !!

How do most people cook them ? and with what ?
                      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                      sigpic

Comment

Steam 'em and eat them as normal veg nom nom nom

You can have 'em in salad too, with feta and beetroot and stuff (nom nom nom!!)
                        If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post

How do most people cook them ? and with what ?
                          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...pes_18231.html

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ets_55323.html
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I boil mine and eat them with lots of butter - I can eat just that for a meal
                            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Cheers for the suggestions all and the recipes TS...much appreciated
                              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X