No announcement yet.

Absolute disaster

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The good thing is, we never sprayed any of the veg, the wife thoroughly checked everything, and luckily enough, we never had to spray the veg garden, we only sprayed the seriously infected flower tubs and baskets and just dish water sprayed the rest, all the nasturtiums are gone, and, we're now into Wednesday, and there's not even a trace of black or greenfly, I think we've been very lucky

I have to say a very big thank you to everyone who gave us advice, especially concerning the nasturtium, its one of these things where we thought, "OH NO! our garden's ruined", then we thought about the veg, we had all these thoughts and were not sure what to do, especially not having been infested like this, but taking the nasturtium out was the best thing we could have done, and we'll know not to be so quick to spray the garden, thanks again everyone, really really appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Tattie-muncher View Post
      thanks again everyone, really really appreciated
      That's lovely, public thanks
      It's really nice to get some positive feedback, and thanks to those people who answer questions on here for the love of it (nobody gets paid, although the way some folk demand answers with no Ps and Qs at all, you'd think we were their employees and lowly ones at that, grrrr)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We never realised just what these wee hovering things were, and of course, we never realised just how beneficial they are, I've just been out into the garden and checked, there's plenty hovering around the baskets and tubs, so am I right in thinking that, although we could still have green/blackfly, these hover flies will do the job of taking care of these bugs for me

Comment

Yes, they are your friends. Their larva eat aphids. Never actually seen their larva, personally, but I hear they love their aphids.
          Last edited by Shadylane; 04-08-2011, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Yea, mother nature sure is a wonderfull strikes a nice balance between friend and foe!

paul.
            Help Wildlife.
            Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
              Never actually seen their [hoverfly] larva, personally
              It's not pretty ...
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yes, it has been a good/bad year for blackfly (depending on your point of view - or the blackfly's). Circumstances prevented me from sowing my BB's till May. They have been going great guns, standing around 4' tall, and producing a crop. Till a fortnight ago.
                They were suddenly covered with blackfly!! I feel really sorry for anyone else blighted as I was.
                Ann-the-Nan.
                There's pleasure sure in being mad that only madmen know - Anon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X