No announcement yet.

How to grow beetroot?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the replies. I've sown seeds in modules and I'll dot them in any vacant spots.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

No luck with beetroots here,might try them in a raised bed this year

Comment

Is apparently a seaside plant which relishes a light dressing of salt (like asparagus)? (Or did I dream that?)
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Nice - better than most of your dreams Snadge.

I sowed another row tonight. Actually, 2 as I had a small smattering of Albino Beetroot from a seed circle.

My first 2 batches are going great guns. Can't wait for the first harvest......hmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            Nice - better than most of your dreams Snadge. .................
            Wasn't dreaming...........bottom paragraph!

Beetroot sowing and seed, beetroot care and cultivation - page 2

What I would like to know is?.........how do you know all about my dreams Zaz?
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I find it one of the harder things to grow to be honest despite it supposedly being easy. Very few ever seem to swell much what ever variety I grow. Mind you, I have even less luck with spring onions which never get above grass stage.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I love growing beets, they're brilliant. Nice big seeds, good germination rate, and as has been pointed out, just leave them be.

You can eat the leaves in salads too.
                Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

I adore beetroot too... I also use the baby leaves in salads and any remaining leaves get steamed or stir-fried after harvesting the beetroot.. delicious!

I have found my beetroot does best when I forget about it and don't over-water it.
                  http://strawberryjubes.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Gemmalaveen View Post
                    I adore beetroot too... I also use the baby leaves in salads and any remaining leaves get steamed or stir-fried after harvesting the beetroot.. delicious!

I have found my beetroot does best when I forget about it and don't over-water it.
                    Thanks, Gemmalaveen - That's what Two_sheds said too. I prefer to grow stuff that doesn't need to be fussed over.

Well actually, anything that needs fussing over doesn't survive in my garden, and I just don't bother with it again. Life's too short for temperamental plants!
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

You can fit a few in anywhere; sow in modules, pots and pop a few in wherever you have a bit of space.
                      When you sow in modules, do you use a heated propagator to encourage germination?
                      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                        When you sow in modules, do you use a heated propagator to encourage germination?
                        I don't. Beetroot doesn't need any heat. You get more than one seedling per seed case (can't remember the proper name) so even if you pop one per module, you will have to thin.

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble_killer View Post
                          You get more than one seedling per seed case (can't remember the proper name) .
                          "Cluster" perhaps?
                          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Rather than start another thread, can anyone tell me why these two seedlings look so different?

Both supposedly Globe 2.
                            Last edited by mrbadexample; 06-05-2011, 07:26 PM.
                            At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

One got pollinated with different pollen or a rogue was in the pack?

Comment

One got pollinated with different pollen or a rogue was in the pack?
                                No idea! I've got two of the purple ones. Just have to wait and see what happens I guess.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X