Growing veggies in pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
    Thanks Florian, SWMBO loves pod peas so I had to do something to grow a few, with these boxes I get 50 plants to each box. Don't get many peas myself though LOL.

I am growing Kelvedon Wonder and the plan this year is to start another 100 plants in thumb pots in early June in the hopes of replacing first lot with a second crop sometime in July. Well thats the plan?

Colin
    50 plants in each box?! That's amazing. I usually have a few plants per tub. I have gone a bit mad this year with varieties of peas and beans so we'll have to see how that turns out

Comment

I too grow all my veg in containers and my poor husband keeps moaning about the fact that there is no space left for him to BBQ!

Just a thought on the lettuces you are growing - you might get more leaves/produce if you grow cut-and-come-again salad leaves instead of lettuces that form a head. I sow seeds every few weeks and have a continual supply of tasty leaves for my salads, all in round pots. They look very decorative too.

To maximize growing space I also inter-crop radishes, salad leaves and spinach by sowing them around my tomato plants (cordon), just around the edge of the pot. Seems to be working well for now although once the tomatoes get bigger and I have to start feeding them I think I might let them stand alone in their pots.
      http://strawberryjubes.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by brianm1973 View Post
        the courgettes have to be moved quickly...they are only in small trays.
        Big seeds make big plants, as a general rule. They'd be better sown into 3" pots (one each), then potted on as needed. Don't sow too early, because they grow very big very fast: they can't go outside until mid-late May

My tomatoes in the house ... should I seperate these into individual pots?
        as soon as seedlings germinate, they need to come out of the propagator (take lid off). As soon as they are large enough to handle (this depends on your own dexterity) you can gently tease them apart and pot up individually

How soon should I move the sweetcorn? They are currently about 2" tall.
        Where are they? I missed that.
        Again, sweetcorn can go in individual 3" pots, or into loo rolls/paper pots

I will leave the lettuce until they are a bit bigger before I move them.
        Lettuce is a cool weather crop, it doesn't need to be in a gh

I currently have my carrots and onions ... in the small greenhouse
        ditto. They can be planted outside once you get to late April and the soil's warmed up
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 30-04-2011, 07:14 AM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

lots of ideas here:
          Container Gardening For Food

I'm amazed how much he squeezed into a small space

Comment

Great link - thanks Tadpole123! I wish I had his construction/wood work skills...
            http://strawberryjubes.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Tadpole123 View Post
              lots of ideas here:
              Container Gardening For Food

I'm amazed how much he squeezed into a small space
              Thank you for this - inspiring stuff

Comment

Colin, what sort of yield do you get from potatoes grown in the flower buckets please?
                Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

MBE,

The first buckets the yield is about 2 good boilings for SWMBO and myself about enough to just over fill a 6" pot. Then as time progresses the yields get larger supplying enough to even give the lad some. The last 3-4 buckets would easily fill 2 6" pots from each bucket.

I find that usually they will see me into my second early's and that from the end of May we will not buy spuds again till Feb next year.

Hope this helps Colin
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I grew pentland javelin in flower buckets last year and had the same results as
                    Colin did, Have to say its so tempting to have a early fertle instead of leaving my potatoes to get a bit larger.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                      The first buckets the yield is about 2 good boilings for SWMBO and myself about enough to just over fill a 6" pot. Then as time progresses the yields get larger supplying enough to even give the lad some. The last 3-4 buckets would easily fill 2 6" pots from each bucket.
                      Colin, I'm impressed! I wouldn't have thought it even worth bothering with, to try and grow spuds in a pot that size.

You are increasingly opening my eyes to what is possible. Thanks.
                      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

MBE your welcome.

Bren Yep thats the trouble, you know whats under there, you know its to early, you also know they will be the best new spuds ever. Oh the temptation, new spuds in mint butter.

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X