Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• butternut squash

Hi, all,
    I hope someone can give me some good advice please. I want to grow butternut squash for the first time, and my question is, can I grow it upwards (up trellis or wires) or is it like courgette and marrow and prefers to stay near the ground? I seem to think it is more of a vine than marrow, and spreads more.

I don't have a lot of space and everything gets squashed in fairly close, so anything I can get to grow vertically is a big help.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

There have been a few threads about this and the feeling is yes you can grow them vertically, just use something strong (a good trellis should do it) and be prepared to support the fruit. You will also need to train it and tie it occassionaly.
    I'll be trying it myself for the first time and so are lots of others, we should all photograph them and share our results....
    Last edited by Poddington Pea; 24-04-2011, 04:53 PM.
    Www.chicorychildrenandchickens.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks PP.
      Is there a way I can search for threads on this site?
      Endless wonder.

Comment

You will find the search option on the green bar up near the top. And very useful it is too!

Comment

Thanks, Suky
          Endless wonder.

Comment

I get told off for saying that http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...uash_3904.html
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 26-04-2011, 06:48 PM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Teehee TS I was going to "like" that but then, I didn't want to "like" the fact that you get told off
              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X