rhubarb - what next?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rhubarb - what next?

I bought a rhubarb plant from the edible garden show at the weekend but I have no idea what to do with it for the best. Your help appreciated :-)
    Follow my adventures on Twitter: @backyardveggie

My children will grow up knowing the Good Life... one day Tom and Barbara, one day!

Don't mean to sound flippant but "just plant it" ? They are tough as old boots, so should be fine, although the more compost / well rotted manure you incorporate the more quickly it should establish.

Don't pick any stalks this year. By next year it should be ready for normal picking. Don't force it for 3 years (and when/if you do give it a full year afterwards to recover)
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Oh no, I can't pick any this year... I'll have to sit on my hands!
      Follow my adventures on Twitter: @backyardveggie

My children will grow up knowing the Good Life... one day Tom and Barbara, one day!

Comment

Originally posted by Mantha81 View Post
        Oh no, I can't pick any this year... I'll have to sit on my hands!
        *whispers*..................(Well maybe just a few stalks)
        Last edited by Snadger; 23-03-2011, 10:36 PM.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Maybe a few stalks in the second year ...

My view is simple: no sense going to all that trouble to get a plant established and then weaken it by cropping before it is properly established. You just wind up with a weak plant that will then never be able to fulfil its potential.

However tempting that may be!

Maybe I'm more patient than average?
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Green side up is the mantra! Except rhubarb may well have a red side! Bang it in with as much good home-made compost, well rotted manure or other good muck to mulch it. Do this every year. Nothing this year from it - allow the stalks to die back and they nourish the roots. Next year a pud or two but again, allow stalks to decay to build up your plant. You will have it for years so don't stint it in its infancy. I stop picking in August and allow the last stalks to die back each year. My Dad, an avid rhubarb eater, managed to kill his plants by picking them till the frost did them in. They ended up spindly and then gave up. Feed them each year and they'll feed you for ever!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

What Flummery said. I've transplanted/split two huge crowms this year and will get NO harvest from them. But then gardening is about patience and accepting that nature has her own way of doing thi ngs that we tinker with at out peril.

So patience Grasshopper, all will be revealed but not until next year.
              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X