No announcement yet.

Growing onions for the first time!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AP is as usual spot on I do it my way because I find it easy but there really is no need to water onions from below, if you follow AP,s advice you won't go far wrong.

Colin
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Thanks. You can tell I'm a gardening newbie (yr2). It may be easier for me to top water then as I have draped the fleece slightly loose(then tied string round) so I may be able to just lift it up if I can't find a large tray.

Comment

Don't lift the fleece up, the water will make it's own way through the holes that you have made in it. And if they are outside, you don't have to water unless it doesn't rain for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Furny View Post
          I had to top water yesterday
          Why? Has it been really dry for days on end?
          None of my containers has needed watering yet this year: even though we've not had much rain for a week it's not been hot either
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I don't know about elsewhere in the country be we have just had a very dry March in fact until last Thursday it hadn't rained for a month.

This of course is my fault I bought my first water butt on the 2nd of March and I have been waiting for it to rain ever since, still its half full now.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Why? Has it been really dry for days on end?
              None of my containers has needed watering yet this year: even though we've not had much rain for a week it's not been hot either
              No It's just because I was planting them out in the containers (The soil around them was dry in the toilet rolls) so I gave a gave them a little water in (more a very quick shower!).

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                Don't lift the fleece up, the water will make it's own way through the holes that you have made in it. And if they are outside, you don't have to water unless it doesn't rain for a few days.
                Thank you. I had thought about that with the fleece but wasn't sure if it was right. I will only water when it hasn't rained for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                  I don't know about elsewhere in the country be we have just had a very dry March in fact until last Thursday it hadn't rained for a month.

This of course is my fault I bought my first water butt on the 2nd of March and I have been waiting for it to rain ever since, still its half full now.

Colin
                  We haven't had much rain here, just quick showers then followed by sunshine.
                  You will have to do a rain dance potstubsdustbins!
                  Edible Garden Programme with Alys Fowler last year showed a man who would ritually perform them on his Allotment when it was needed much to the amusement of his neighbours & Alys.

Comment

Furny,
                    You obviously have not seen my body shape or you would not make that suggestion don't know whether people would die laughing or just runaway.

Got the last of the onion sets in today 82 in total you may guess I like red onions.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Furny,
                      You obviously have not seen my body shape or you would not make that suggestion don't know whether people would die laughing or just runaway.

Got the last of the onion sets in today 82 in total you may guess I like red onions.

Colin
                      I nealy spat my coffee out all over the computer screen! ha!.
                      Wow, 82! you do love em. Yes, all my little babys are out now (only 18). And the shallotts are hardening off ready to go out this week & all my other bits & bobs are romping away!. Happy Growing!!.

Comment

One of the reasons I grow so many is my son steals them away for his family and of course they do keep very well still got some left from last year.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

One of the reasons I grow so many is my son steals them away for his family and of course they do keep very well still got some left from last year.

Colin
                          Well I'm glad I'm having a go at them this year. I bought a net of red onions last week from the supermarket & within days they had gone all soft & I got one out last night for tea & they where all going mouldy!, you can't get much more inspiration to grow your own when you have that sort of experience! urghhh!

Comment

Thats their onions stored properly yours will last for weeks, if you dont eat them all.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X