Do I have to use seed compost?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
    Might be the supplier? (given that John Innes is just the formulation)....I used Levington Seed Compost one year, and found it too "dense"
    It was a big name brand, could well have been Levingtons
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

No offence taken 2sheds. I did not he was sponsered but I still don't get on well with peat free. Maybe the newer stuff is better than it used to be, fewer logs in it would help.

My main concern is that with limited space I don't like to take chances otherwise I end up with lots of compost and nothing to eat.

The year before last I acquired 2 compost bins and I have just about got the hang of them now so am hoping that this year I won't be buying much compost at all. Just 20 ltrs for seed cutting, hoping all the rest will come from my own which I saved last year and reusing what I already have.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I use peat free multi purpose for everything - have no desire to damage the earth by using peat. You do have to be more careful as there is more variability between brands than with the peat stuff but the good stuff is excellent. I use New Horizon (think that's the right name) which is more expensive than B&Q but I don't feel guilty although do try to make as much of my own compost as possible for potting on so as to minimise my reliance on plastic bags of commercial stuff . Re using seed compost, I just make sure I don't use any twiggy bits in the MPC and it's all good, pretty much 100% germination and no need to store different types.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I use b+q growbag compost for most things, i usualy reuse it many times even for seeds, i often sterilise it in the microwave and leave till cold before using to get shut of weeds
          Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

I've never used seed compost, might get a small bag to do a bit of a trial just for my own satisfaction.
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Always use multi purpose or even last years grow bags !

Everything left over is used to fill up the raised beds.

Remember, sow little and often

Good luck

Jayjay
              The link to my old website with vegetable garden and poultry photographs

http://www.m6jdb.co.uk

Comment

huh, would never had thought MPC would be ok for seeds. Now I know what to get at the weekend as I've nearly ran out of seed compost
                www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X