Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can we plant soon for our school allotment?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can we plant soon for our school allotment?

Hi, I run the PTA at my childrens' school and we are setting up an allotment (we have dug and set up raised beds already and grew salad leaves and tomatoes last term). Now we would like to plant some veg/fruit, if possible, so as to get the children as interested as possible in the project this term...I have done some research, but would like some direct advice about what would be good to plant in the next week or two?
    Thank you very much! Jo

Overwintering (Japanese) onion sets and garlic. Possibly broad beans. By the way, could you add your location to your profile please. It helps enormously when giving advice.

Comment

If you have enough room, fruit bushes will be coming into the shops soon (raspberries, currants, and gooseberries).

Comment

We'll be planting garlic and O.W.onions at school this week.
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Thank you!

Thanks guys that's great. I'll add my location to my profile...we're in Watford, Hertfordshire

Comment

I feel a bit redundant here. There are so many learned grapes these days with good answers to all questions.

The only thing I would add are brassica plants, particularily Spring Cabbage that you may be able to source at the local garden centre.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You can put in overwintering peas too.
              Strawberries are good as they fruit before the summer hols

Comment

Thanks again!

Once again thank you, it's very handy to have tips on crops which will come to harvest when the children are still in school...ie not during holidays! Such a shame when all the hard work goes into growing them and then the kids don't get to see the results. Your ideas will help to keep them interested. Thanks. I shall post on when I need more advice for other elements of this project!

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  I feel a bit redundant here. There are so many learned grapes these days with good answers to all questions.

The only thing I would add are brassica plants, particularily Spring Cabbage that you may be able to source at the local garden centre.
                  Aw Snadger, you'll never be redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    I feel a bit redundant here. There are so many learned grapes these days with good answers
                    That's because they've learned from you. Don't dip out Snadge, keep 'em coming
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'd recommend the book "The Playground Potting Shed" by Dominic Murphy. Very useful advice about what to plant when and what crops in term time.

Comment

Hi jzanetti welcome to the vine You could try some late sweet corn next year, the corn would be ready to pick when the children came back after there summer holidays, remember to block plant sweet corn ...
                        Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                        Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                        -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Thanks once again!

Once again I thank you all for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Currysniffa View Post
                            Hi jzanetti welcome to the vine You could try some late sweet corn next year, the corn would be ready to pick when the children came back after there summer holidays, remember to block plant sweet corn ...
                            How about giving pop corn a go? It can then be used at PTA events!
                            http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X