Mould on my newspaper pots!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mould on my newspaper pots!

I decided to give my newly made newspaper pots a whirl with some early broad bean seeds, to plant out later.

They've been in a tray on the windowsill with a plastic lid over them and i noticed the other day a scary fluffy mould growing on some of the pots (picture attached)

I took the lid off as i thought it might be that exacerbating it, and since i have it seems to have got less 'fluffy' but its still there. The beans are just starting to germinate but haven't yet in the pots with the mould.

Any ideas?!
    Attached Files
    There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
    Happy Gardening!

Sorry Protea, looks similar to something I got on the surface of the compost of my sprouting peas and they are okay. No previous experience of it though (mind you not much experience full stop). Sure more expert grapes will be along shortly.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I've has some of this on my compost in my windowsill propagators too. Doesn't seem to be doing any harm to anything though. Warm and damp conditions favour this sort of thing. Unless it gets out of control, I wouldn't be unduly concerned.
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yup too wet compost coupled with too much heat will cause this harmless mould. Cut down on watering and prick the soil with a little plastic fork this will cure it.
        If not get some fungicide and use a LITTLE in water in plant sprayer and this too will get rid of it
        http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Many thanks everyone - just wanted to check it was nothing to worry about! ( i was all ready to blame the free local weekly i used too!! )

I haven't watered them since i planted the seeds and i doubt it got that hot on the windowsill but you never know! At least the beans are germinating - they've taken aaaaages!
          There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
          Happy Gardening!

Comment

Nothing disastrous, happens when there's too much moisture and too little airflow. You can probably brush off the mould, I keep an old paintbrush for this. Don't overwater, and give as much ventilation as you can. Mould is part of the composting process, and this will happen naturally when you plant out your newspaper pots. It's just that you can see it when they are in trays, and you can't when they've been planted in the ground.

Comment

Hi there- I agree with benacre and rustylady...too much water ( and not enough ventilation!)..just gently smudge off and hang back on the watering a tad!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I used a potmaker thingy with newspaper to make pots for the last couple of years. I grow my sweetcorn in them then I can plant them straight into the ground without disturbing with roots. Without exception they become excitingly and scarily furry, and the trick is to balance the fuzz with drying out completely which is just as likely. However, I have revelled in the success of my sweetcorn (see my name, folks!) and LOVE it to the point of needing something else in my life.

So don't worry about the fuzz I'm sure that it'll be fine!

Comment

When I sow, I put a fine layer of dry compost over the dampened seed. This helps to prevent moulds and furriness
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

i have never had mould on my newspaper pots, so i concur with my fellow grapes, too much water.

Comment

I agree with everybody else Protea. Just gently clear it away. I sprinkle the surface of seed spots with vermiculite and this seems to pevent the problem.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Protea View Post
                        I decided to give my newly made newspaper pots a whirl with some early broad bean seeds, to plant out later.

They've been in a tray on the windowsill with a plastic lid over them and i noticed the other day a scary fluffy mould growing on some of the pots (picture attached)

I took the lid off as i thought it might be that exacerbating it, and since i have it seems to have got less 'fluffy' but its still there. The beans are just starting to germinate but haven't yet in the pots with the mould.

Any ideas?!
                        Try using the Times instead of the Star...better class of newspaper may help!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Protea
                          How long did it take for your Broad beans to germinate? Ive begun to worry about mine they have been in for 11 days and no sign.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X