I've been a proper divvy

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been a proper divvy

I planted my garlic in Feb...but DOH DOH DOH I didn't split the bulb just shoved the whole thing in!
    So I have 3 bulbs all growing quite well but I have no idea whether its a good idea to lift them split the best grown cloves off and replant or just leave it to its own devices and see what happens.
    I've never grown garlic before (as you can probably tell ) and the packet instructions said to plant the bulbs with the tops just sticking out.

Any advice gratefully received.
    Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

there's always one !

Me, I'd leave them, make the best of it and do it proper next year
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Leave them to it, they won't be brill but you will have grown your first garlic
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Thanks Two_Sheds and Shirlthegirl43.
        Yep Two_Sheds...I'm the one, but it is only my 2nd year of gardening and frankly would have made even more c**k ups if it hadn't been for this forum.

Comment

We all learn from our mistakes NGR.........it's not the end of the world. At least you know you won't do it again next year or this year if you plant them in October.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Plant in October????? ooooooh yet more pearls of wisdom from an expert.Thank you.
            I've just been out for a peep and one bulb appears to have split and there are stalks coming up in an area about 12 cm around so maybe I will get something from that plant, the other 2 there are stalks but very close together.
            I'll leave them and get a surprise when I do lift them but I will be browsing around now to find garlic that I can plant in October.
            This stuff is Fokhagyma thats in now.
            Any advice on October garlic?

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieGardenerRow View Post
              Thanks Two_Sheds and Shirlthegirl43.
              Yep Two_Sheds...I'm the one
              Hey, cheer up - you're not the only one. Leave them for now and see what happens. Next year split the bulb into individual bits and plant.

Comment

October is when you're meant to plant garlic - How to Grow the Garlic herb.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Plant in October????? ...but I will be browsing around now to find garlic that I can plant in October.

When the garlic and overwintering onions are in the garden centres; that's the time to buy some and put it in.

You can put it in between Sept and Dec for the best crops, if you do this it should be ready around late June.

Comment

Just a quick addition, there are some varieties of garlic that you're meant to plant in late winter and early spring. Vallelado is one suck type.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      October is when you're meant to plant garlic - How to Grow the Garlic herb.
                      Thanks for the link. Wish I'd searched for something like that site in Feb!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                        When the garlic and overwintering onions are in the garden centres; that's the time to buy some and put it in.

You can put it in between Sept and Dec for the best crops, if you do this it should be ready around late June.
                        Thanks very much for the advice. I'm gutted that I've messed up this year but hey ho...lesson learned

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X