paths

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paths

I am newish to my allotment plot, signed up for it last June, not been able to get there due to doctors orders to rest since september, so I have at last marked out my beds on the lotty, i have 7 beds 5fy by 11ft, with paths on 3 sides, all fine so far I think i know where i am going with these, feels good to be back in action - BUT - the paths i cant think of a cheap solution for these. The plot is on a steep slope so they need to be safe for mountain goats (thats what I feel at times when working), carpet is out - have just been moaned at about the cardboard I put down.

I am stuck please please help

Thank you
    Last edited by denise; 15-02-2007, 10:50 AM. Reason: to give more info
    Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
    -- Alfred E. Neumann
    http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

hi denise!
    im in the same position at the mo!
    cant think at all what will be the best thing to use.
    i was thinking of laying down sticks or wood offcuts across the paths for grip, because i heard gravel would make your barrow sink and get stuck.
    everything is on a budget so what ever i decide to use has to be salvaged from skips ect. but another idea is bricks, i found a skip full of broken up bricks the other day an have only just thought of something to do with them. you could lay them down as paths i suppose.
    basicaly use whatever you find. i doesnt have to be pretty, as long as it does the job!
    anyone have any other ideas, and i would be very grateful too!
    cheers buttercup x x

Comment

Why not just let the grass grow and cut it - maybe incorperating the odd step?
      We have grass and cut it once a fortnight.
      You can pick up hand pushed mowers at car boot sales for not a lot of £.
      Or buy a cheap 2nd hand strimmer ( ? birthday pressie??)and easier than mowing!
      Both are cheaper than buying membranes/bark/stones etc.
      Beware that paving slabs can be slippy if wet/muddy/slimy
      Last edited by Nicos; 15-02-2007, 12:19 PM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It depends on whatever you can get your hands on cheaply or for nowt!

On my old allotment I just had wood chippings on top of compacted earth. The local council drop them off now and again at the allotments entrance and it's just a case of being there at the right time before everyone else arrives with there barrows and snaffles them!
        I started off by using old fertiliser bags with the wood chippings on top but found it was better laying them direct on the soil where they give a better 'grip'. If the odd weed tries to poke it's head through it's an easy enough job to yank it out!

On my new allotment I have access to sand which I intend laying on top of any plastic I can scrounge i.e. fertiliser bags, membrane, old polythene etc.

Should give the lottie a rather 'Seaside' look or I could rake it for a Japanese garden look!

In essence, let your imagination have no bounds and experiment with whatever you can get your paws on!

PS Can't see a problem with upside down carpet as a base and you could add whatever you liked to diguise it. If the paths are permanent, any nasties in the carpet won't affect the bedsoil!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

In Brighton we had grass paths, but they were a pain to keep mowed. Now we have bark chippings on top of earth: we sweet-talked the local council worker to drop his bark chippings and lawn mowings on our Lottie site rather than wherever he was dumping them. I also have paving slabs as the odd stepping stone and they're great.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

You could try your local council for wood chippings, or do you know where you could get some straw.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X