X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gardening in scotland...

Hi,

I was just wondering...

If I sow some seeds indoor, they go leggy as there is not enought light... but if I sow outside, they'll freeze to death... even if I put them outside for the day in the plastic greenhouse, it is very cold (8 degrees today in the greenhouse because of the rain and wind...) and I have been told if the seedling get cold that can stop their growth...

I have some salad leaves that seem to enjoy the cold weather, but what about courgettes and tomatoes (or worse : sweet peppers...)... can they really stay outside now with this kind of weather ?
    I have done it but I have the impression the courgettes and tomatoes are not developping anymore (no new or bigger leaves).

so the solution would seem to be : wait until the weather gets better... but if I wait another month or so, will the plants be mature enough to get a decent crop ?
    or is it better to buy plants ? but then again they can get cold and stop growing...

this "growing plant" is so interesting but everyday seems to bring new questions ! I wish I had spent more time with my grand dad as a kid to learn (mind you that was in france at a time when summers were hot and dry and winter cold and snowy ! nothing to compare the the weather I have now !)

Originally posted by tweety View Post
    Hi,

I was just wondering...

I have some salad leaves that seem to enjoy the cold weather, but what about courgettes and tomatoes (or worse : sweet peppers...)... can they really stay outside now with this kind of weather ?
    I have done it but I have the impression the courgettes and tomatoes are not developping anymore (no new or bigger leaves).

so the solution would seem to be : wait until the weather gets better... but if I wait another month or so, will the plants be mature enough to get a decent crop ?
    or is it better to buy plants ? but then again they can get cold and stop growing...

this "growing plant" is so interesting but everyday seems to bring new questions ! I wish I had spent more time with my grand dad as a kid to learn (mind you that was in france at a time when summers were hot and dry and winter cold and snowy ! nothing to compare the the weather I have now !)
    I only sowed my tomatoes today and they are now snug in the greenhouse inside a heated propagator, along with the chillies and sweet peppers also sown today.
    You are a bit early with the courgettes though - I won't sow mine in my tunnel until the weather warms up a bit more then Plant then out when they have 4 true leaves - and even then, I offer them some protection by planting them inside old tyres - this helps keep the heat in and the cold winds out til the plant is well established. I grow loads of courgettes and never have a problem with the shorter growing season up here - remember that in the height of summer we get 1.5 hrs more daylight than our opposite numbers down south.
    Hope this helps
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Tweety, I'm in Renfrewshire too!

I've not started much yet, just some chillies in a propagator indoors. But this weekend I'm planning to sow a lot of veg in containers in the greenhouse. Snow & sleet are forecast for next week, so you can't risk too much in the raw outdoors.

From what I gather, the best way for us to approach the growing season is to try to extend it by some under-glass sowing, before planting out. Is that something you can do?

Good luck with it all, whatever!
      Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
        remember that in the height of summer we get 1.5 hrs more daylight than our opposite numbers down south.
        Hope this helps
        Hi,

thanks for the info, I didn't know that...
        I think I'll see if my seedlings can grow, otherwise I'll start again in a couple of weeks...

Comment

Originally posted by Caro View Post
          Hi Tweety, I'm in Renfrewshire too!

I've not started much yet, just some chillies in a propagator indoors. But this weekend I'm planning to sow a lot of veg in containers in the greenhouse. Snow & sleet are forecast for next week, so you can't risk too much in the raw outdoors.

From what I gather, the best way for us to approach the growing season is to try to extend it by some under-glass sowing, before planting out. Is that something you can do?

Good luck with it all, whatever!

Hi Caro,

this is a small world as I'm in Paisley too !
          the garden is quite small so it's only pot and a small plastic greenhouse. it provides shelter, but I guess not as much as a proper glass greenhouse.

I think I started too early this year (didn't want to make the same mistake as last year when I started too late ! )... but I may have to start again... well I'll call that successional sowing !

have fun with your planting this week end.

Comment

when you transplant your tomato seedlings you can bury then deeper, gives them more roots, just try to remember to turn them if indoors so they can get as much even light as possible. Have also seen making a reflector out of tinfoil to but at the far side from the window - but easier to turn them in my book!

Your courgettes will do fine outdoors once the frosts have gone.
            Elsie

Comment

this has been such a long winter,dont rush too much,if you have a small g-house the plants seem to catch up,given where we are,thats when the rain stops!!! ,its just so galling,the cold,rain and now the forecast snow,all we can do is wait it out,if you have a heated greenhouse,thats different,but the light would have to be improved as well..

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
                ,all we can do is wait it out,

Hi,

this is so hard when you have seeds and compost lying in front of you !!!
                I think I'll saw some new tomato and courgette at Easter... if I have too much plant, I'll give them to friends...

I so wish I had a garden large enough to put a heated greenhouse (or a conservatory...), but for now the plastic greenhouse is the best I can offer my seedlings...

Comment

I'm not sowing courgettes & other squashes until April, and I'm much further south than you.

They grow big very fast, so you need to make sure you have room for them indoors until they go outside in late May
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Tweety/Caro i am in Paisley too.....eep it is a small world!

i admit to having planted quite a lot of stuff, i have a greenhouse so i am juggling some seedlings on window sills while hardening off some peas and beans under glass at the moment.

I basically end up with a greenhouse packed to the rafters until the end of May when i put out the Toms and Courgettes, I have grown courgettes for 4yrs now and am sort of experimenting with different compost/pots as opposed to a raised bed....Tomatoes are fine outside by May but i tend to avoid cordon variety because they get too tall for me to cope with inside, I get loads of fruit....

i keep the chillis and aubergines under glass permanently and the chillis are brilliant (the extra daylight may help with this) but i have less luck with the Aubergines....

I tend to stick with the seed pack instructions but if it says March i will leave it til closer to the end of the month....

I just wondered what are you doing about the snow we are forecast to get later in the week anyone taking their stuff back into the house?

Comment

Originally posted by evie451 View Post
                      Tweety/Caro i am in Paisley too.....eep it is a small world!

I just wondered what are you doing about the snow we are forecast to get later in the week anyone taking their stuff back into the house?

Hi,

it seems Paisley is the place to garden !
                      I have heard about the snow forecast and I don't know what I will do as I won't have any space left in the house to put the seed trays... visitors are coming for a week... can I get them in the greenhouse and the plants in the lounge ? I think the visitors would stand the cold better than the plants !

seriously, I was thinking of taking my chances and leaving the seedlings outside. can I leave them in the greenhouse with some kind of cloche covered with fleece and maybe some fleece around the bottom of the trays ?
                      or maybe all wrapped up in a clear plastic storage box with fleece ?
                      I have also read of people putting "hot water bottle" (you know the stuff you put in your bed to get the sheets warm) in the greenhouses or cold frame to prevent temps falling too much...

I'll experiment and if it fails I'll sow again and hopefully learn for next year...

Comment

just checked the greenhse temp its 6c and i can see my breath.......i have broadies and some straws plus leeks parmex carrots and some spring onions in the greenhse just now......the only thing that concerns me is the beans they have only been moved out there from friday and i dont know what will happen if i bring them in? will i have to start the process all over again? like the OP said i wish i had paid more attention to my Grandad when he was growing his beans!

Comment

Originally posted by evie451 View Post
                          just checked the greenhse temp its 6c and i can see my breath.......i have broadies
                          Broad beans are hardy, tough old things. They'll be fine.
                          Mine have been outside since November, sat under frost & snow for several weeks, got blackened but are now growing back
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            Broad beans are hardy, tough old things. They'll be fine.
                            Mine have been outside since November, sat under frost & snow for several weeks, got blackened but are now growing back
                            i am just not used to them TS i have only grown the more sulky pea! i want to do right by my broadies as they were grandads favourites.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X