No announcement yet.

Heating seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember the part you are referring to, Sarraceniac: Harry Dodson and his assistant built a rectangular heap of manure and topped it with soil then sowed lettuce and radishes in the top layer and capped it all with a Victorian cloche. I reckon you could could get a useful salad crop started in builders bags Hilly - why not use some of the plastic rectangular cloches - just make sure you peg them well down. Even though the ground is frozen on our lotties at the moment there is quite a bit happening under them there cloches!!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

How many degrees did it raise the ambient temperature by? Bearing in mind that Hilly won't be doing this in a greenhouse, but outside, in containers. Metcheck.com - Global Weather Forecasts - Weather Forecast for Cockermouth - [Updated on 04 January 2010 at 8:00] - Weather Feeds - Live Data - Long Range Weather Forecasts

And I still say that getting the seeds to germinate without a fairly regular temperature overnight is going to be an issue. Even onions prefer about 12c ish to germinate.

Hilly, you say that Mar/April are fairly mild where you are; can I suggest that you wait a while? It is only the beginning of January after, I think if you start now, you're likely to be disappointed.

Comment

Sorry Sarz, I didn't make it clear. The original was done in a fully fitted, unheated, Victorian greenhouse. Then Harry Dodson replicated it, see Jeanied's post, for the modern gardener in the way that Jeanied describes. Obviously the cloche doesn't have to be a Victorian one, though no doubt some will think that it has to be. But setting containers into the ground as opposed to digging a pit would probably help prevent heat loss through the sides.

The raise in temperature was considerable. With snow on the ground I seem to remember the air temperature under the cloche taken with a min-max was 10-14C and he reported that the ground actually felt warm to the touch, presumably relatively. I know that when they dug up the manure, in the greenhouse bit, it was visibly steaming.
        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
        >
        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Lots to think about here thanks all.
          the raised bed and cloche idea sounds what I was thinking of for growing on, but thought it might not be warm enough for seedlings. Didn't see the victorian garden thing, but Monty did something like it on gardeners world. unfortunately it was one of the ones that kept getting interuppted by the phone etc so I didnt see if he sowed direct or seedlings, and I missed the follow up.
          Wasn't thinking of going mad, just some things like shallots (i'm late but had nowhere to put them before) onions and maybe some early varieties of veg and some salad leaves. Basically stuff I've got tons of, (mum gave me a pile of seed from last year to use up) or that is supposed to be early anyway. Partly to see if I can do it here. But not to risk a full batch of seed, the main of what i want to grow will be planted at the correct time. Although I should point out that I actually have passion flowers flowering in my back yard at the moment, uncovered. though I dont think the oncoming buds will survive this weeks forcast drop in temp.

Sarz..I posted this before I saw this weeks forecast Dont know about the seeds but IM hibernating.
          Sarra, Jeanied..I'll probably give it a try, I'm an experimenter with my flower beds and containers anyway, but will need better cloches than I have available I think. But I never thought of shoveing a thermometer in overnight Doh.
          Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Well you certainly gave us the most interesting and controversial thread, especially for 'New Shoots' that I for one have seen on this forum. I certainly hope that nobody has taken it personally or thought that anybody was sniping anybody else.

Strange how it just seems to have developed into a 'I'll try anything once' argument against 'For goodness sake, it says it is impossible in the book so forget it' argument. I'm of the school of thought that believes the book should be challenged and tested, I've seen some dreadful advice from the RHS which hasn't been updated for years. (and some good advice which has I should add). My late father (a pro gardener) was of the opposite school to me. If you suggested he should grow yellow courgettes not green ones, he went mad. I always thought he hated me because I was from an ethnic minority but it was for suggesting yellow courgettes.

I love pushing gardening to its limits. I used to make a joke about people that just wanted to grow lupins, lettuce and daffs but of course there is a place for them, though why they need a forum (any forum) I don't know.

But I've been fascinated by this idea since seeing it on telly and may even try it next year. But if anybody thinks I'm going out digging pits in this weather, they are crazier than I am. I'll get it ready next autumn.

>

Comment

Sarra
              Well you certainly gave us the most interesting and controversial thread, especially for 'New Shoots' that I for one have seen on this forum.
              I'll just take a bow then shall I?

Ah but you've all done exactly what this forum is so good at..loads of different opinions and advice, which gives me the information I need to make up my own mind.

Thanks
              Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
                I'm of the school of thought that believes the book should be challenged and tested
                I agree, once you've got some experience under your belt and you know which rules can be bent.

How demoralising it is to sow some tomatoes in December and then see your little plants wither and die through lack of sunlight. You just think you're a rubbish gardener, when actually you just sowed when conditions weren't right.
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 05-01-2010, 09:44 AM.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  I agree, once you've got some experience under your belt and you know which rules can be bent.
                  I'm a Popperian. I believe that the best way to learn is to make mistakes.

>

Comment

I made up a hot bed in the greenhouse (unheated) a couple of months ago as an experiment and now have some healthy lettuce growing in the top layer - we are -20 some night just now and my broad beans seem to have given up the ghost so it seems the hot bed is a bit of a hit after all - if that's of any use to anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
                      I made up a hot bed in the greenhouse (unheated) a couple of months ago as an experiment and now have some healthy lettuce growing in the top layer - we are -20 some night just now and my broad beans seem to have given up the ghost so it seems the hot bed is a bit of a hit after all - if that's of any use to anyone?
                      Wow, it is to me Scottishnewbie. Point may not be proven but it is well indicated. The only thing is that it is probably too late to set one up now. But never mind there is always next year. And an impatient gardener has about as much chance of success as one that just reads books. Go for it. Try it.

>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X