Roadside mushrooms

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greengas View Post
    I was thinking of buying one of those mushroom growing kits, has anyone had much luck with them?
    The only prob with these kits is keeping them moist enough, bearing in mind their instructions are to water them by misting on about 2 litres of water initially and then to top up regularly. I only had a hand sprayer, and it was such a chore so the compost used to dry out. I've only ever got half a dozen mushies off these kits, and they all came at once which was a pain.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
      The only prob with these kits is keeping them moist enough, bearing in mind their instructions are to water them by misting on about 2 litres of water initially and then to top up regularly. I only had a hand sprayer, and it was such a chore so the compost used to dry out. I've only ever got half a dozen mushies off these kits, and they all came at once which was a pain.
      Similar problem I had. I bought a hand sprayer which could mist - but even then. Vowed I'd never bother with them again - plus they ain't cheap, for what you get.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Chicken of the wood is really nice Wayne but if you're not sure you're best off to leave.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hiya, Wayne,
          If the 'srooms you found are growing out of the ground they won't be Chicken of the Woods. C.O.W are bracket fungus and are usually found growing quite high up in trees. Best leave 'em where they are.
          When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
            Hiya, Wayne,
            If the 'srooms you found are growing out of the ground they won't be Chicken of the Woods. C.O.W are bracket fungus and are usually found growing quite high up in trees. Best leave 'em where they are.
            OH tells me that they tend to be on tree stumps and other dead wood and are usually within easy reach. However, if they're growing in the grass then it's unlikely that's what you saw. Oh yes and they're usually yellow!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Bide your time and keep your fingers crossed for something unmistakeable. We got really lucky the other year and found a whole fairy ring of massive puffballs. Beat the pants off the neighbors scrawny chanterells.
              The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

Post a photo Wayne!

I've read that mushrooms are very good at sucking-in exhaust fumes, so best avoid those growing near roads.

Honey fungus is very common, but so is sulphur tuft which looks similar and is poisonous.

We pick quite a few on dog walks - mostly parasols and puffballs.
                Resistance is fertile

Comment

Would post photos, but I only saw them because I was sat in traffic. They're on the side of a busy road.

LadyWayne said we've got something similar growing on our lawn - but seeing as I leave the house in the dark, and arrive home in the dark I haven't seen 'em yet.
                  A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Just before xmas I bought a mushroom kit. I now have pinhead size mushrooms. Trouble is the instructions are so vague I don't know whether I have to leave off the lid and expose the thingies to light or keep them in the warm cupboard with lid on where they are at present.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X