Garden Centre Vouchers and seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden Centre Vouchers and seeds

When I left my job in August, the company I left very kindly got me £50 of garden centre vouchers (don't know why, as I hated them!! )

I haven't used them yet but they are still in date.

What I was wondering is, are seeds from garden centres of the same quality as those bought from suppliers such as Thompson & Morgan (for example)?

I could buy loads of seeds from the garden centre, enough to start my veg garden off and then some, with £50, but if the quality wasn't as good, I'd find something else to buy.

We've already got tools, equipment etc so I thought that we could buy all our seeds for "free" if you see what I mean.

The seeds are likely to be exactly the same although you aren't likely to be able to get such a big range (space I suppose) - just check on the date on the back to see if they are old stock.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

As long as they are this years seeds (and not ones that have been sat through the sumnmer in the heat inside most garden centers), then they should be fine!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Since it's my first year of proper growing, I'm going to stick to popular varieties of most things, so as not to get too complicated.

I shall check the packs etc when we go! I know that last time I went to the garden centre in question, they had no seeds out at all due to Christmas stuff... hopefully they have been stored well!

Comment

I think you'll find the seed stocks starting to come back. Look for the "packed year end" thingy on the back. That will tell you how fresh they are. Most garden centres stock seed from one or more of the main suppliers, Suttons, Unwins, Mr. Fothergills, T&M etc.

Good luck with your growing this year. Have a look at the info/postings relating to F1 hybirds too and don't forget to try something different if you want to and will have the space.
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

The ones you buy from GC's are the same ones , it's just the packaging that may be different.

As you may not use £50 worth of seeds maybe you shuld put it towards something more expensive that you might need ( an electric propagator etc).

Just a thought
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

I was looking through various seed catalogues last night and I am fairly sure Thompson and Morgans say they will take any garden vouchers, not just their own. I'll check if I get a minute and get back to you on this.
              Jools

Comment

Sorry, misread it. They will take vouchers from other mail order companies rather than from garden centres.
                Jools

Comment

I usually get my seeds from garden centres,and wyvale always have a really good selection of T&M seeds plus a few other companys.If you go in around end June,beginning July you can get your seed for the following year half price!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X