No announcement yet.

Is a heated propagator really worth it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't be without mine, but with no south facing windowsills at all, and the others being too narrow to take anything bigger than a 2 inch pot, it would be difficult without it. It does mean that I don't have to heat the greenhouse too, apart from for a month or so between mid-March and mid-April, so actually saves a considerable amount of money as the only alternative would be to heat it to a temperature which allowed seeds to germinate far earlier.
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I've had one for about 4 years and I think its great, I'm planning on getting a larger one this winter. I can germinate most things without it but they come through so much faster with it, especially the hotter chillies. All my south-facing windowsills have plants on them all year round, so as soon as anything germinates I stick it in a big unheated prop with a small fluorescent tube over the top which stops the seelings going leggy.

Mrs J

Comment

I'm thinking about one of these.
        Super 7 Electric Windowsill Propagator | Quality garden supplies from gardensupplies.co.uk
        Any one used this type?
        Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

How much time does a heated propagator actually save you?

If i used it to sow seeds a couple of months early(tomatoes+chillies) then how would i maintain a warm enough temperature not to kill the seedlings off after removing them from the propagator?

My local homebase had sankey 8 watt versions reduced to £7.48 yesterday and i resisted buying one but wonder after reading this if i should have done?
          Most of this years chillies are only now baring fruit so if i could find a way to sow them earlier and keep them alive i would be interested.

Comment

Rocketron,

Yes, I've used one of those Super 7's. Not too bad for starting small quantities of things off at all though they're not very tall so not great for onions or leeks.

I also have a 2 tray size heated propogator which has been invaluable in getting early crops going. Couldn't manage without it really.

S
            Proud renter of 4.6 acres of field in Norfolk. Living the dream.

Please check out our story in the March 2014 issue of GYO magazine.

Follow us on Twitter @FourAcreFarming

Comment

Originally posted by The Nichols' View Post
              Rocketron,

Yes, I've used one of those Super 7's. Not too bad for starting small quantities of things off at all though they're not very tall so not great for onions or leeks.

I also have a 2 tray size heated propogator which has been invaluable in getting early crops going. Couldn't manage without it really.

S
              Thanks for your reply. I mainly intend to use it for chillies and thought the separate containers would aid in not mixing up varieties.

Comment

Oh yeah, then it's definitely worth it. You'll be able to get 6/8 of each variety per module.
                Proud renter of 4.6 acres of field in Norfolk. Living the dream.

Please check out our story in the March 2014 issue of GYO magazine.

Follow us on Twitter @FourAcreFarming

Comment

Thanks for all your replies guys, very useful, and I think the consensus of everyone is that A HEATED PROPAGTOR is worth it.

Comment

Except me!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I use the poly bag method too!
                      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

From what I can gather and from limited experience is, yes heated propagators get seeds off to a flying start but then you'll need to artificially provide the right type and amount of light to prevent them from going very leggy.

Certainly makes sense with certain varieties of chillies but comes with a price... (electric and extra work and the price of the kit ie propagator and lights) I'm telling myself to wait for the proper time next year esp with toms but whether I'll listen to myself or not, now that's another question that remains to be answered (ask me again in March or April next year )
                        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
                          From what I can gather and from limited experience is, yes heated propagators get seeds off to a flying start but then you'll need to artificially provide the right type and amount of light to prevent them from going very leggy.
                          No, not necessarily. I only have mine in a heated propogator until they germinate then they're out like a shot to get all the light so they don't go leggy (except when I'm cramming too many seedlings onto the window ledge!). If you grow totally out of season they, yes, you have a problem and need to provide artificial light (which I think is somewhat against my reasons for growing my own) but if you're just buying a few extra weeks then it's no problem.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

that told me ...

Suppose it comes down to experience then, too early and you'll need lights, suppose it's about finding the balance
                            Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I think most of gardening is about finding a balance and just when you think you've found it you get some freaky weather or something and it all changes........

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                                I think most of gardening is about finding a balance and just when you think you've found it you get some freaky weather or something and it all changes........
                                Is there any other kind ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X