No announcement yet.

feeding pumpkins ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for supporting the pumpkins we made a 'raft' out of empty 2ltr pop bottles with the lids on, in a triangle shape, they're supporting some pretty big pumpkins without any problems and the rain (which we've had a lot of) just runs of them so they are not sat in water
    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
      Who's Frank Sidebottom and what size is his head?

(Just trying to get the picture).
      Frank Sidebottom

Geo..

Comment

Originally posted by teakdesk View Post
        Chicken manure pellets are very high in acid so are good for ericaceous plants
        but not for plants that like a neutral soil.

Chicken manure pellets come from battery hens (unless the tub states otherwise - which probably cost more) and I refuse to support this industry by buying them.
        I'm confused. I was told chicken poo was alkaline not acid. Who is right?
        Last edited by GrubbyGirl; 06-08-2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Cheers Geo! My pumpkin is that big! I'm hoping it'll grow a bit more - can't wait to carve it into a scarey face come Halloween - I am a child!
          Last edited by stupot; 07-08-2009, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrubbyGirl View Post
            I'm confused. I was told chicken poo was alkaline not acid. Who is right?
            My book, which admittedly is a chicken book not a gardening book, says that chicken manure is caustic. Caustic = alkaline, so I too always thought the pellets would have a high pH.
            Last edited by bluemoon; 07-08-2009, 06:48 PM.
            Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

My pumpkin plant is growing upwards over a fence, lots of fruits but alas the slugs have been sucking the life out of them !! Not sure how to protect a pumpkin in the air?
              BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
              Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Well I think mine are doing ok (fingers crossed ), still growing all be it slowly.

These two are just seeds taken from my daughters Halloween pumpkin last year, so no idea what they are

This is a Hundred weight pumpkin given to her in one of those tiny grow your own kids kits from Asda, she planted it in late March, I think its doing ok, Hopefully it will be big enough for carving by October

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                  Frank Sidebottom

Geo..
                  pleased to meet you, Mr Sidebottom - my pumpkin is nowhere near the size of your head!
                  My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X