No announcement yet.

How do I use canes for runner beans?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have two rows angled towards each other and then rest canes horizontally where they cross and tie it all together at that point - I don't think it matters how high or low that crossover point is because the rest of the cane will stick out above it, so just tie it where you can reach. I don't use twine or string for tying anymore - the sparrows peck at it and take it away! I use old tights!
    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Hi Tony. That sounds like a good idea. I have 2 permanent posts with a line running between them and the canes tied in pairs to the line.

Like all gardeners I like to rotate between the beds and your idea sounds just the job.
      Dave
      France 79

Comment

Have just come back from visiting a fellow gardener and saw his bean-buildings, with beans ropping up them at a pace!

Each b-b is made up of two wooden frames, about 1 x 2 mts, across which he has stapled green plastic covered fencing wire, what we call 'grillage' here. He's then joined them at the top with brass hinges and hey presto, he has a very sturdy structure that just folds up flat in the winter for easy storage!

My skills at woodwork would make a grown man cry, so it's back to my locally harvested bamboo!

Comment

i got a wigwam can grip thing from b&q..whilst i understand the holes around the edges are where the canes go what i can't work out is what the hook things on the top are for

Comment

just built my wigwam and i'm pretty impressed with it just hoping it holds up to the winds we've been getting

can i sow radish seeds in the middle of the wigwam?

Comment

You could sow something in the middle but it'll need to be a quick crop as very soon there will be very little light there as the beans grow. Personally I leave it empty although often sink a plastic bottle in there so that I can easily water and feed to the roots.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

a plastic bottle in the middle of the wigwam? i take it you chop the bottom off and leave the hole where the bottle top usually goes sticking out?.. how does it work?

Comment

Hi. Plastic bottles are a very useful way of targeting the water direct to the roots.

Take the top off,cut the bottom off, bury the bottle top end down and virtually full depth in the soil. Water via the bottle the water goes straight to the roots and there is hardly any loss because of evaporation.

Hope this helps.
                  Dave
                  France 79

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X