No announcement yet.

Making a base for a shed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you rod, I was away for a few days.
    How I have always laid the sand cement mix is to lay the sand down, level off, lay the slab roughly, then as I do the final adjustment I just sprinkle a handful of cement dust onto the sand, particularly on the patches where corners of the slabs are to go. This stiffens up when moisture gets to it, and basically holds it that little bit firmer. The cement takes a long time to set, but that usually doesn't matter. The soil underneath doesn't need to be totally even by the way, and clay soil I'd expect to be pretty inert once dried, excluding droughts.
    I have never used nothing but mortar or concrete to lay slabs on - if you are already using a screed (level plinth of concrete) to lay the slabs on, you could just as well level that off finely and just plonk the shed onto it, save on slabs. After all, this is not a heavy-load bearing structure.
    At all times, check the spirit level - the longer it is, the better you will do at levelling the whole area, hence all the posh jobs you can see that are as tall as a man, in industrial supply outlets.
    Murphy's Law says you read this just as you return from doing the job !
    Kiwirach, this method is the "proper"/professional/longterm way of creating a shed base, but for many folk it is not appropriate. After all, you might move house, and want to take the shed with you, and not be allowed to leave any signs of its' presence ! That's my situation. So what I have done with my shed, is I put an old timber batten down each side and at the ends, fastened it to those with coach bolts, and then just cut strips of scrap metal coaming I had to length and laid them across as flooring. You could do the same with smaller pieces of wood - the ones I had were like railway sleepers, but they didn't need to be that long - and use plywood as flooring. The whole shed is tied down to stakes.
    Last edited by snohare; 10-05-2009, 02:47 PM. Reason: Adding info for Kiwirach
    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Thanks snohare. Gonna crack on with this todayas it's the first opportunity I've had what with work and the weather.

Comment

I have a large summer house 16 x 14 on slabs and it's been fine for 5 years now,as an aside the small shed that I inherited isn't on slabs and has rats under it.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
          as an aside the small shed that I inherited isn't on slabs and has rats under it.
          I think I'd be having myself some fun with an air rifle there!!

Comment

snohare.....i shall be collecting the shed this morning, but it wont go up today.....will sort that out in a few weeks.
            Finding Home

Comment

I may yet be in the same shoes as you guys, preparing a new site for mine in a couple of weeks.
              I am wondering if an area of smoothed, waterworn stones contained within a wooden (log ?) border and overlaid with gravel or coarse sand will do me this time round; the back garden is full of alluvial deposits, I might as well use them, and it will stop rabbits/rats digging under it.
              Never really thought about all the different ways there are of making a base for a shed before, there really is an art in the smallest thing, isn't there !
              There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Well I got them laid in a couple of hours Wasn't too bad. Not perfectly level like, but it's not a bad effort for my very first attempt at paving.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X