Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring onion and radish seeds

Hello

I am having so much fun with the toms and peppers I was thinking of trying something else this year!

Can I start spring onion and radish seeds off indoors in a seed tray or small pot? the packets say sow direct but I don't really have anywhere to do that just yet. I was hoping that I could start them off and once they are ready to plant on I could put them is random spaces in the garden, at least then I would know where they are!

maybe next year I will have a veggie patch or raised beds but not this year

Cheers
    Helen

Radish would be better outside, you can grow them in a pot. They are quick so you won't need to transplant them.

There is a thread about sowing spring onions in modules to transplant.

Comment

Hi, dont know if its the done thing but its what ive done, my lottie looked like a jungle when i got it and it has taken a time to clear small parts so started mixed leaves and salad onions in small squares on the windowsil and have now planted them into the ground(under plastic cloch at present)they are now running away an looking ready for eating in a few short weeks -cant wait

Comment

thanks

I found the spring onion thread and will rpobably give it a go... nothing to loose really apart from window space!!

Do the radish seeds just go into general purpose compost in a pot then? I am sure I could find a pot if its that easy...

cheers
        Helen

Comment

Originally posted by murphy99 View Post
          Do the radish seeds just go into general purpose compost in a pot then? I am sure I could find a pot if its that easy...
          Yep, just that easy Space them about an inch apart and they'll be up and growing before you know it. Remember you probably want a few at a time so stagger sowing by starting a new pot every couple of weeks then you have a continuous supply instead of dozens at once.

You might like to try lettuce too, which you can also do that outside it pots or trays. If you pick a cut and come again type/mix where you pick individual leaves instead of a head you'll be able to start eating very quickly.

Here are some of mine, lettuce in the trays with a row of radish in the front of the left one (carrots in the middle box) and a pot of radishes.
          Attached Files

Comment

they look pretty good and the pots don't need to be that big either. I hadn't realised you could grow lettuce in such shallow trays! I have a wooden trough that I had basil last year sown with some lettuce.

I have just been to the post office which happens to be in a wilkinsons store... oh dear

I bought a "greenhouse" which was only £11.99 they had 20% off. Not sure how good it is or if it was a bargain or not or how long it will last but it will save me lugging in some of the toms each night. !

They also had some grow kits half price and I succumed I bought a beetroot one for £3.50 it has the pot , compost etc to grow on the patio... I guess its worth a try this year anyway

I bet some of you are recoiling in horror at spending £3.50 on beetroot!!

ok I will confess to more I also bought a bean one but that was £6

Back into the sunshine for me as I now have some new projects or maybe I should make my husband his tea as I may need help with the greenhouse

Cheers
            Helen

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X