How do you water paper pots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you water paper pots?

Do you water these from the bottom like you do seeds trays or just use the watering can? Never used paper one's before

with water

*gets coat*
    Last edited by lynda66; 13-04-2009, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I would us a spray bottle and do it from the top otherwise you'll get soggy bottom (and you don't want that!) and they'll collapse before you're ready. Also keep them packed together tightly so they support each other.

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
        with water

*gets coat*
        Always one

Thanks for the advice Marthaclematis

Comment

Originally posted by IgglePiggle View Post
          Always one

Thanks for the advice Marthaclematis
          yup, and i'm all of them

Comment

I just water from the top with my small house plant type watering can with a fine rose. Go for the little and often approach as my pots are very small and the seedlings can wilt quickly if not watered. When the pots are filled and damp I've never had any problems with the falling apart.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

.....and how do you stop them going all mouldy and slimey?

Comment

Originally posted by rogesse View Post
                .....and how do you stop them going all mouldy and slimey?
                don't over-water them.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Unlike plastic pots, I water paper pots from the top. Only a little, so as not to rot the paper.
                  I don't keep them in baking sunshine, so they don't need watering every day, just when they feel light.
                  Last edited by Two_Sheds; 18-04-2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Aha - I,ve been watering from the bottom and way way too much!

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      I water paper pots from the top. Only a little, so as not to rot the paper.
                      I don't keep them in baking sunshine, so they don't need watering every day, just when they feel light.
                      Does the same apply to loo roll innards?

I'm just about to plant some peas and (some more!) beans in loo roll innards and was wondering how I should water them!
                      http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Vikki ~ yes, same for loo rolls.

Comment

Line bottom of gravel tray with capillary matting and place paper pots on mat. Keep mat moist - not swimming. It works for me and no collapses!!
                          Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

I stand my loo rolls in a tray with news paper in the bottom then just water onto the newspaper to keep it really wet.The compost inside the roll seems to get enough water soaked up to keep whatever ive planted in them germinated and growing till im ready to transplant loo roll out.

Comment

My paper pots were watered with a watering can this year, from the top. They were all stuffed together in a tray. They all survived and were eventually planted out a few days ago, replete with crops. Shall be definitely using paper pots again next year, as well as loo rolls, which were done the same way.
                              Bob Leponge
                              Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X