No announcement yet.

Planting between runner beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm going to try salad stuff and radishes under my RB/FB wigwam as they prefer a bit of shade this year...i sound like i know what i'm doing don't i ;¬)

Comment

what happened?

As some of you know Im looking for ideas for my new lotty. Whilst brousing about jerusalem artichokes I came across this thread. Im just wondering what success peeps had with planting in between beans? Not necessarily jerusalem artichokes, any thing really. There was a bit of a dialogue going on between snadger and zazan. Sorry for my curiosity! I have more questions than answers at the moment!
      http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

I'm going to try constructing a "Bean Tunnel" this year. I have a pair of parallel beds which I shall plant the long sides of - close-ish to the edge. I then propose to construct a bamboo stick gazebo-type affair for them to climb up and over. I'll then utilise the rest of the bed for salad etc. Be interesting to see if it works.
        When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

I thought I had a blast of inspiration whenI thought you could do a bean tunnel over a path, one row of beans in seperate beds and joined together over the path! Until I realised you couldnt walk on the path unless you were very small or the tunnel very high! Doh

Comment

Originally posted by jackyspratty View Post
            I thought I had a blast of inspiration whenI thought you could do a bean tunnel over a path,
            I actually did do this last year, in my raised beds. The top of the arch was about 6 1/2 ft off the ground. I didn't have much luck with runners last summer though, and my arch wasn't nearly strong enough (I just used canes and string), they got a bit buffeted about. However, with a proper frame I think it would work really well.

Having said that, previously, I have had a decent crop of beetroot when sewn under a double row of runners

Comment

Im just wondering what success peeps had with planting in between beans?
              When the beans grow and are in full leaf, the insides (of the teepees) are completely shaded. Lettuce doesn't mind shade, but they'd be difficult to reach to pick?

As I said above, I just plant an upturned 4-pint milk bottle, and water direct to the roots of the beans
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I am planning on making a bean tunnel over a path, out of a couple of cheap rose arches I picked up at the end of last year in Wilkinsons sale. If successful I hope to buy a couple more rose arches to extend the tunnel idea in 2011.

Comment

Bottom cut off it? Or fill, and then invert and plunge in?

CAn I ask why you do this? Still absorbing info, sorry to sound dull

Comment

Attached is a photo of my beans which had a row of Little Gem lettuce growing in between them. The lettuce grew well, didn't mind the beans and weren't too hard to harvest, though admittedly I harvested them all at once for selling at a Farmers Market.
                    Attached Files
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

As some of you know Im looking for ideas for my new lotty. Whilst brousing about jerusalem artichokes I came across this thread. Im just wondering what success peeps had with planting in between beans? Not necessarily jerusalem artichokes, any thing really. There was a bit of a dialogue going on between snadger and zazan. Sorry for my curiosity! I have more questions than answers at the moment!
                      I had lots of success with my bean frame. I grew the climbers in a row; they climb up the string and over the top of the frame [towards the south]; and had dwarf beans block planted below...it means nothing gets shaded out.

Comment

I thought I had a blast of inspiration whenI thought you could do a bean tunnel over a path, one row of beans in seperate beds and joined together over the path! Until I realised you couldnt walk on the path unless you were very small or the tunnel very high! Doh
                        On my lottie site one bloke did exactly this - he had a bean tunnel over one of his paths last year. It seemed to work very well and you could walk easily down the path between the beans. He always has the tastiest (and most prolific) beans on site as well. The first year I had my lottie he gave me a huge bag full so I know they are really tasty. Lottie people are so kind and generous aren't they. Not really sure why he did the bean tunnel thingy - something different to try I suppose. Will be interesting to see if he does it again this year!
                        Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          I just plant an upturned 4-pint milk bottle, and water direct to the roots of the beans
                          Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                          Bottom cut off it? ...CAn I ask why you do this?
                          cos beans are thirsty
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                            Bottom cut off it? Or fill, and then invert and plunge in?

CAn I ask why you do this? Still absorbing info, sorry to sound dull
                            Like Twosheds I use bottles, in my case 1 litre squash bottles. I keep the lid on but cut off the bottom. Just above the bottle lid I punch a couple of small holes.
                            I then invert the bottle so it is about half way in the soil and very near the base of the bean (not so close that you might actually pull the bean off the growing bit - remember you can't see it underground)
                            Fill to the brim with water and it will soak away gradually. You can also leave the bottle top off (still having removed the base of course) and then push it into the soil. When I did this I found the water was pouring away too quickly and I couldn't judge how much water I was putting on.
                            By doing it slowly I know each plant gets near enough 1 litre each time I fill the bottle.
                            I have also put a dessertspoon or so of something like growmore in the neck of the bottle so that I feed as I water.
                            Just make sure that the holes are ABOVE the level of growmore because if it goes hard it will block the holes.
                            I hope all that makes sense
                            Last edited by Sanjo; 02-02-2010, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Thankyou all! Great ideas and tips. Like the idea of the arch over a path! Got my friend saving water/cokebottles at the moment, he drinks diet coke for breakfast , yuch!! Will go back and inspect your sysem in more detail zazen also need to work out south etc on the plots!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X