Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

-4 degrees tonight - growhouse seeds/seedlings OK?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After suffering from high winds as well as cold I found that if you're using water bottles as cloches then cut the tops down a little to give a flat base and balance a piece of stone or brick on top leaving a small air space, this keeps them in place and I'm no longer chasing all over the place looking for missing bottles and having my poor seedlings exposed to the elements.
    best wishes
    Sue

Comment

I brought everything inside that I could to be safe..... and just put it all back out again!
      No frost on the ground here, so hopefully the broad bean seeds under bubble-wrap are OK.
      My Blog My flickr

Comment

So- how did you all get on?
        Any casualties????
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

No casualties in this part of Devon - no frost - oh well, better safe than sorry!
          Life is too short for drama & petty things!
          So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Was there a frost?
            I had no idea - !
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

There was a frost here but aint been to lottie yet to survey damage!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

No frost here.... all is well

Comment

Hard frost but all seems ok, touch wood!
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

-4? Here where I am in Suffolk is going to be 4°C... still cold though. I planted out Begonia's and Freesia today, should I put a fleece over the ground or shall I leave it as they are only bulbs and haven't come up yet.
                    Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Comment

your bulbs should be fine, the frost will only kill tender plants and flowers. in fact its not the cold that kills the seedlings but thawing out after being frozen.
                      above the clouds the sun is shining and the sky is blue. if you look hard enough you can just about see it!

Comment

All okay here this morning but have re-covered tonight.
                        AKA Angie

Comment

all my stuff is indoors tonight...apart from some salad leaves and coriander growing in the pyramid greenhouse! i'm way further north than some of you though! but even so...prevention and all that!
                          "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

Pottie

Hi all!!

Im quite new to this site, but so glad i came on tonight after reading about your warning regarding the temperatures tonight.

ive seeded quite a few items of vegs but treating them with kid gloves, they still all inside on the window sills. was going to put them out today, but the wind was really cold!

This site is abs brill!!!!!!! All the advice you give is wonderful

Comment

I covered everything last night, but havent bothered tonight, its not listed as being that cold here, and it feels quite warm at the minute, there was no frost last night either

I have the christmas lights turned on on the lemon and mandarin trees outside, the apricots are flowering , the peaches and nectarines have flowered and have mini fruit on them....

Most of the other stuff is already in the house till i build the greenhouse

Ive moved most apart from the citrus (too big to move) , against the house yesterday when i fleeced them, no cloth tonight though even on the citrus, i dont think it will be cold enough to hurt them, they were all outside all winter in the ice and snow and there warmer now against the house and they have the christmass lights for heat
                              Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

I hit black ice this morning driving up to Aberdeen, heart jumped into my mouth as I glided along - was in OH's car.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X