Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jillyreeves View Post
    Sorry Im new to this, why do you trim the roots
    Zazen beat me to it. You dont trim them right down or cut them off. Only when you grow them in clumps and tear them apart the roots are intertwined and some are really long. So if you trim them down it encourages the leek to produce more.

Its just individual preference. But I'm a regimental gardener with OCD so it has to look right! LOL
    Serene she stand amid the flowers,
    And only count lifes sunny hours,
    For her dull days do not exist,
    Evermore the optimist

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria26 View Post
      Zazen beat me to it. You dont trim them right down or cut them off. Only when you grow them in clumps and tear them apart the roots are intertwined and some are really long. So if you trim them down it encourages the leek to produce more.

Its just individual preference. But I'm a regimental gardener with OCD so it has to look right! LOL
      Sounds like I will be trimming the roots them, as I am too am OCD inclined then they will be planted out in very neat very straight lines and if they know whats good for them they will all grow nice and tall all at exactly the same time or they will be in trouble

Comment

We should have a '10 leeks lined up with the leaves all in the same direction' competition.

I can never get it to work so that they all open the same way.

You can tell, I think far too much about this sort of thing.

I'm usually so random, but I'd love my leeks to be uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          We should have a '10 leeks lined up with the leaves all in the same direction' competition.

I'm usually so random, but I'd love my leeks to be uniform.

*Sigh* Ooo yes Uniform, Order, Rows

I'll have to take pics of my garden this year for you...
          Serene she stand amid the flowers,
          And only count lifes sunny hours,
          For her dull days do not exist,
          Evermore the optimist

Comment

I haven't sown mine yet! I sow them in a pot and transplant about 1" apart into deep marge tubs (with holes in the base, obviously!) I leave them there till they're about as thick as a green bean and plant them out with me trusty dibber. It's usually about July by this time.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

leeks for leeks sake

i am a leek growing novice too,after last years complete disaster i have brought on my leek seeds through the winter in my greenhouse,i have transplanted the seedlings into individual empty cardboard toilet roll inners and then plan to plant these straight into the ground later in the season. would welcome any other suggestions as we eat a lot of leeks and living with a house full of welshies................

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
                If I understand you correctly. They are too young to plant out in the beds now. You need to wait until the stems are pencil thick. For now, take your clump of twelve (only twelve?) seedlings with soil and put them in a deeper and bigger pot and then let them grow on for planting out around May/June.
                sounds like you know what your doing,please read my blog and see what you think,thanks

Comment

Originally posted by AndynChrissy View Post
                  sounds like you know what your doing,please read my blog and see what you think,thanks
                  Where is your blog?
                  Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X