• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol I misread the OP as potatoes! I think I need more coffee
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
      Sorry Lainey...but can I nick your thread a mo...& I'm actually a little embarrassed what I'm going to ask!!...but does this mean I should be planting my beans a certain way up for optimum success???...I usually just drop them in their little holes...some come up strong& others not quite so good.
      Probably, but I've not worked it out yet. I might chit a few and see if they come out the same looking end!!!

Comment

The root came out of the end with the "line" on it, if you see what I mean.
        So I guess line side down would make life easier for the bean!
        Last edited by lainey lou; 06-03-2009, 10:54 AM.
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
          Lol I misread the OP as potatoes! I think I need more coffee
          LOL. Any sugar in that...I've just brewed up...

Comment

Doesn't matter which way you put them in as they'll sort themselves out [] Amazing how the plant actually knows that the shoot needs to go up and the root down!
            Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

Comment

Clever little things,aint they?!!...I shall stick to my random method of dropping them in & wishing them luck!
              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

slightly off the topic of beans, but i had 2 leeks that grew with the root out the top of the soil and the shoot downwards had to pull them up and turn them round ...weird ... my beans have all come up the right way though
                Last edited by lynda66; 06-03-2009, 05:58 PM.

Comment

you had upside down leeks???!!! could only happen to you
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Never bother starting broad beans off on kitchen roll they're really easy to germinate and I just go for the shove them into moist compost in root trainers and they come through in a cold conservatory in a couple of days. Ended up with loads this year as my seeds were about 4 years old and I was concerened that there might be low germination. There wasn't, almost all of them came through no probs at all. No idea which side the root / shoot came out of but they're all pointing the right way up now and almost growing as I watch.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I hope you find the root to this little quandry soon.

Hey c'mon, if it was going to be anyone....

I'm sure Flum told me that beans are clever little things, and will sort themselves out if left alone. I think I had a similar thing last year - not knowing which way was up - for the bean.

Hopefully our Bean will set down roots and grow the right way up.
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Even if they go in wrong way about, they'll send the shoot downwards all by themselves. And if you 'help them' by putting them in on their heads, they'll still put their root downwards. Eventually!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

See, knew Ma Flum would know!
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                            you had upside down leeks???!!! could only happen to you
                            yup they are called george and mavis and they are all healthy now they are the right way up

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
                              The root came out of the end with the "line" on it, if you see what I mean.
                              Yep, that's the way I always plant mine - smooth, narrow end upwards, flattened end downwards. Thank goodness for primary school science lessons

Comment

Green side up, as they say!
                                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X