Am I Being Crazy? You Can Be Honest

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
    Thanks for the welcome Oh and had to check myself that it wasn't me who posted earlier when I saw a reply from Pinkle!
    yes wasn't that weird!!??

you might see on another thread that i have dithered back and forth re: raised beds.
    many Grapes on here are hard and fast Make-It-All-Yourself types.

I was going to purchase a kit from Dobies - very similar to the Harrod one. Then I was tempted by Link-a-Bord and so forth.
    In the end, and only because another project got taken care of, am I going to make my own one with some wood from either a local builders merchant or B&Q.

Let us know how you get on with the kit though, I was VERY close to getting one!
    Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
    Independent Minds

Comment

Originally posted by Iamhanuman View Post
      yes wasn't that weird!!??

you might see on another thread that i have dithered back and forth re: raised beds.
      many Grapes on here are hard and fast Make-It-All-Yourself types.

No I am just a tight A**e

Let us know how you get on with the kit though, I was VERY close to getting one!
      Lol so we convinced you to make one? Yes!!!
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
        Lol so we convinced you to make one? Yes!!!
        for sure!!!

oh and i thought Make-It-All-Yourself had a better ring to it!
        Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

I've got a long list of seeds as well Iamhanuman so we can be crazy together I'll grow what I can without stressing and keep the rest of the seeds til next year, see what works and what doesn't

I've decided to compromise on the raised beds issue, would like to make myself but as I'm so clumsy hubby made me promise not to play with drills years ago and he's so busy at the moment theres no time for him to do anything for me.
          So I've got 1 (1m x 2m) raised bed kit from link a bord and the rest of the beds will just be marked off on the ground so I don't step on them. If I carry on enjoying growing veg as I am now then I'll either persuade him to make the rest of them into raised beds late this year/early next year or just carry on with no raised beds, see how I feel when I've worked on them for a while.

Let us know how you get on with making your beds.

Comment

Originally posted by mrshopeful View Post
            So I've got 1 (1m x 2m) raised bed kit from link a bord and the rest of the beds will just be marked off on the ground so I don't step on them. If I carry on enjoying growing veg as I am now then I'll either persuade him to make the rest of them into raised beds late this year/early next year or just carry on with no raised beds, see how I feel when I've worked on them for a while.

Let us know how you get on with making your beds.
            oh I will don't worry - it'll be in the blog and on one of the threads

your set up sounds great
            would be good to see some pics
            Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

My own view is that, if this is your first year, keep it simple. Growing a large number of different varieties will be challenging. Concentrate on the basics, get those right, enjoy the fruits of your labours, and start experimenting next year. Check the 'use by' dates on any seeds you don't use and store them in an airtight box. They'll be fine. I admire your enthusiasm so I hope my comments don't sound too negative!!
              Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyndy View Post
                My own view is that, if this is your first year, keep it simple. Growing a large number of different varieties will be challenging. Concentrate on the basics, get those right, enjoy the fruits of your labours, and start experimenting next year. Check the 'use by' dates on any seeds you don't use and store them in an airtight box. They'll be fine. I admire your enthusiasm so I hope my comments don't sound too negative!!
                Hi Gwyndy, it's entirely for other's opinions that I posted the original message. I am going to be concentrating on a fair few different varieties, but i'm not going crazy and planting millions of them. That way I can flit from one to t'other like a gardening butterfly and hopefully it will all balance out.
                Time will tell!
                And my blog!
                Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

We have a young (young by our standards, that is) friend who is a very enthusiastic vegetable gardener. For the first two years he grew weird and wonderful varieties of all sorts of things because they were different and he liked the look of them and the challenge of growing them. But a lot of what he grew went to waste. He now has two young children and has come to the realisation that he can provide good, wholesome, fresh vegetable for his sons to eat. So this year it's back to basics for him.

But there are no hard and fast rules in gardening and a lot of the fun is in 'doing your own thing'. As long as you enjoy what you are doing and enjoy eating what you grow - good luck and have fun!
                  Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyndy View Post
                    We have a young (young by our standards, that is) friend who is a very enthusiastic vegetable gardener. For the first two years he grew weird and wonderful varieties of all sorts of things because they were different and he liked the look of them and the challenge of growing them. But a lot of what he grew went to waste. He now has two young children and has come to the realisation that he can provide good, wholesome, fresh vegetable for his sons to eat. So this year it's back to basics for him.

But there are no hard and fast rules in gardening and a lot of the fun is in 'doing your own thing'. As long as you enjoy what you are doing and enjoy eating what you grow - good luck and have fun!
                    i think that's it Gwyndy.
                    I have a few staples that I am growing and the rest is experimentation to see what i want to continue growing (and what I can grow well). The first couple of years are going to be that, as there are plenty of other things that i'd like to add on - Beetroot, parsnips, onions, etc - which I just don't have the space or time for this season.
                    Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X