Self supporting peas really ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self supporting peas really ?

Lo all, yet another ( I hope interesting) question.

I have bought two ' self supporting ' types of peas this year one reguler peas and one mangetout but both alledgedly self supporting if planted closely.

Has anyone used these types and can they really be self supporting or is this a bit of sales chat :P

I havnt got aprobl;em with using some netting or whatever but dont want to do so if not needed. also im wondering are they very short indeed as I cant see how peas would ever support themselves.

Cheers

Mas
    '3000 volts says the ducks
    are mine foxey !'

Depends if they get into university or not...

Comment

It's a good job I like a laugh as much as I like growing veg
      are mine foxey !'

Comment

Lol.

What types of peas are they - by name? We have alot of pea experts on here but they would want to know which types you are talking about.

Comment

I grew some self supporting peas last year - they supported themselves by lying on the ground If I grow them again this year I will plant twiggy sticks with them.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

I've grown one for several years (saving my own seed) called Markana which is semi-leafless and supposed to be self supporting because the leaves are modified into extra tendrils. They do support themselves to a certain extent but when they get to about a foot tall they start to flop over and your pea pods end up in the mud! I still find I need to give them some mesh to climb up.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

They only support themselves by leaning on each other Mastiff and I find they need a lettle bit of help. Twiggy sticks stuck in amongst them or short canes at the ends of the rows with string tied to them is about enough.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                I grew some self supporting peas last year - they supported themselves by lying on the ground If I grow them again this year I will plant twiggy sticks with them.
                ROFL

That's just made my day.Thanks for making me laugh.

Comment

From what everyone here has said ( and lets face it I was sceptical anyway)
                  I think I will provide some support. Last year I planted a few peas in a row and they were so sweet and lovely but I needed to plant ten times as many , lesson learned. Anyway back on topic , I have Pea Twinkle and Mangetout Oregon Sugarpod.

Does anyone know how tall the Pea Twinkle grow as the packet doesnt say.

As for the Mangetout , the pack says 3 foot so I assume we are talking about as likely to stand up as RBS fiscal policies

Cheers

Mas
                  are mine foxey !'

Comment

My Oregons grew to about 4 ft. Depends on the conditions and the amount of rain too I suspect. Don't know about Twinkle but it has a sort of dwarf, dinky sound doesn't it?
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Let's put it this way , I wouldnt personally want it as a nickname

I prefer 'Mas' ( my nice butch sounding nickname)

P.S I can confirm that I have grown well over 4 foot tall and only ever flop accross the ground after a good bottle of port.
                      are mine foxey !'

Comment

I've got some Twinkle (can't type it without laughing) peas in modules, which are going to be planted out into polytunnel. I've not grown them before, but seed company says they grow to 18-22"/45-55 cm. I'll be using some support though.
                        Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Ive not tried self supporting peas yet as I still havent managed to get kids to be self supporting.
                          Last edited by crichmond; 27-02-2009, 07:51 PM.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

I grew twinkle last year, they grow about two feetish

I wouldn't call them self supporting, think of two drunks walking down the road holding onto each other, they sort of stay upright but could do with help

I'll be growing them again this year, I ate all last years raw, they were lovely

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X