Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Sndager - will get some from my same source as pony poo! DDL
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Just an update on my potatoe saga!

Made time to attend lottie tonight after work and check on my spuds. I have now made a lid for my contraption and even with this and the straw some of the outer foliage was caught by frost!

I have put a paraffin heater in it now, just to give it some frost protection til the weekend when i can re-assess!

So, let me list this recipe for disaster

1) Wooden frame
      2)Plasic cover
      3) Full of straw
      4) And now an open flame (covered) sitting in the middle of it!

Luckily it is no where near anything else, so if the worst comes to the worst(It won't happen...... forever the optimist!) and bonfire night does come early! All I will have is fried potatoes!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger - your advice please on my frozen tatties! I, um, er, left them uncovered last night (my carlingfords that have been growing since september in the ground) and when I looked when I came home tonight they had well and truly had a bad case of frostbite!
        I've now covered them up with fleece - tonight is supposed to be even colder than last night!
        Are they gonners, or do you think they will recover? Many thanks in advance. DDL
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
          Snadger - your advice please on my frozen tatties! I, um, er, left them uncovered last night (my carlingfords that have been growing since september in the ground) and when I looked when I came home tonight they had well and truly had a bad case of frostbite!
          I've now covered them up with fleece - tonight is supposed to be even colder than last night!
          Are they gonners, or do you think they will recover? Many thanks in advance. DDL
          Sorry to hear about your tatties DDL but like you, I have never tried growing them for Christmas til this year. It's a learning experience for me also!

My personal view is that in future years it might be better growing them in a greenhouse, particularily if it can be heated just enough to keep it frost free.

My allotment neigbour grew Carlingford this year and they got blighted. He is still digging small spuds and needs about two 'shy's' for a meal. They look quite good to me so it might be worth digging one shy to see if there is anything at the bottom?
          If they aren't frosted to the ground and you have now covered them they may survive!.
          When I had a heated greenhouse I used to grow tomatoe's in summer and Chrysanths til Christmas.....maybe when the toms come out the potted Christmas spuds should go in in future!

Hope everything turns out ok and it doesn't quell your enthusiasm for the future DDL.
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for that Snadger! I did read somewhere that tatties can/do recover from frost, so lets hope so. They are still securely, snuggly wrapped up and I will have a look tomorrow when there is enough light to do so! As you say, it's a learning process and I'll certainly remember for next year! How are your tatties doing in your special little plot? DDL
            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
              Thanks for that Snadger! I did read somewhere that tatties can/do recover from frost, so lets hope so. They are still securely, snuggly wrapped up and I will have a look tomorrow when there is enough light to do so! As you say, it's a learning process and I'll certainly remember for next year! How are your tatties doing in your special little plot? DDL
              First of all, I have to admit I have always called a single potato plant with its potatoes a 'shy'. After googling this I have found out it is a scottish word and it is a 'shaw' not 'shy'. Must have been the way my Dad talked as he was a Durhamite, (niver cud taak propa!) and I picked it up as 'shy'

Right, now thats out the way I can say that after putting paraffin heater in frame, tatties seem to have survived up til now! Went to lottie to check on them after work and the heater had went out! It must have stayed on long enough to keep the frost off though. So far so good, fingers crossed, re-lit it and I'll see how it goes!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well Snadger, if you'd been reading my posts you would have known it was a shaw. But, in relation to the potato problems I think it's good news DDL. I thought the potatoes I planted for Christmas were a goner for one reason or another. No shaws. Yesterday I was doing a tidy up and thought I would get rid of the useless buckets. I remembered somebody said just because there's nothing going on above ground doesn't mean there's nothing going on underground(Was that you Nick ?) So I had a poke about in the buckets. Jings. Tatties in there. Looking great. So don't give up. Even if the shaws are frosted they might still be fine. Good luck.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

We've been double digging over one of the beds on our plot today, managed to find about 6lb of small spuds, so came home, scrubbed them and roasted in olive oil with a few other veg and an organic chicken, sooo tasty! Cant say I have ever tasted spuds quite like it, loads of taste rather than just bland like most that come from the supermarket! I think I now understand why folks grow spuds and what the difference is between organically home grown and supermarket bought! Will now deffo be ordering some seed potatoes and growing some for ourselves next year!
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                  Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                  Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                  On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Thanks for that Alice! much appreciated! and Mrs D your tea sounds FAB! DDL
                    Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                      Well Snadger, if you'd been reading my posts you would have known it was a shaw. But, in relation to the potato problems I think it's good news DDL. I thought the potatoes I planted for Christmas were a goner for one reason or another. No shaws. Yesterday I was doing a tidy up and thought I would get rid of the useless buckets. I remembered somebody said just because there's nothing going on above ground doesn't mean there's nothing going on underground(Was that you Nick ?) So I had a poke about in the buckets. Jings. Tatties in there. Looking great. So don't give up. Even if the shaws are frosted they might still be fine. Good luck.
                      So your shaws are no show! Lol

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Dug up one plant - there were around 6 small tatties under there - OK. It just seems to be the leaves that have gotten frostbite. Have also got copper sulphite (?) to spray on the leaves just incase the brown spots were the start of blight. Have also got a bale of straw to cover them up with. DDL
                        Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Covering with straw/spraying for blight

What does everyone think? I got a bale of straw yesterday and plan to cover my chistmas tatties with the straw (like Snadger). I sprayed them yesterday with the copper sulphite stuff to ward off blight, just in case.
                          Had a look this morning and the leaves look very "frost bitten". According to the instructions re: copper sulphite you should leave two weeks between sprayings.
                          Just checked weather forecast and a frost is due next Thursday night. Can I spray the leaves again before then? 'Coz I need to make sure they are well covered with straw before Thursday, or don't spray them again and just cover with straw? Many thanks in advance! DDL
                          Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 05-11-2006, 05:08 PM.
                          Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Just wondering what the results from all these spud trials was. My spuds were quite happy at the back door in their pots until last week when we had a pretty hefty frost which knocked the greenery back by half. Not sure if there are any spuds underground - emptied one pot which had the smallest growth above ground and found a handful of marble-sized potatoes. Have left the rest of the buckets alone to see what comes since they still have a good 8 inches of 'stalk' before the frosted bits so I hope they will carry on growing. Was searching for something else and came across this thread and thought I would see what everyone else got from their winter new potatoes.
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Hi Shirley, it's funny you should mention this as I just lifted my potatoes yesterday. I must admit I was disappointed as I only found 5 potatoes in there along with a load of tiny little marbles like yours. The 5 are a nice size though but I'll have to buy a few more from the shop to make enough for the two of us or O.H. will think we're on rationing.As mine were from the supermarket I suppose it shows you should really use bought in seed potatoes but I'm not sure they would have been much better. Mine were outdoors in a large tub & covered in fleece but got knocked back by frost like yours a week or so ago & mustn't have made much growth before then, certainly wouldn't have been any in there at Christmas when they were intended for. Probably better in a greenhouse if you have one but unfortunately I don't.
                              Attached Files
                              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X